What's new

urgent solution needed for jailbroken iphone

whiteyhd

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been trying for 7 hours solid to find a solution to my problem but nothing is working, so I was wondering if anyone has any direct advice, which would be so so welcome!

Basically, I jailbroke my iphone 4S with evasi0ns 6.0/6.1 patch two days ago whilst on holiday just to get some updates as a user and to get games like gameboy roms to pass the time on trains. However this morning I came back from holiday and as I was installing a theme, my iphone got stuck on the apple logo and has remained a dimly lit apple logo (I was ironically installing a theme for the boot up logo). Usually there are solutions to this but i'm in a particularly tricky situation, so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Here is where things get difficult and standard stuff doesn't work:

1) i don't want to reset or use recovery/DFU as i have a lot of pictures on there I don't want to lose as i haven't backed them up yet since i just came back. Im not fussed about losing the jailbreak as I know i can get it back if i have to go to 6.1.3, i just really don't want to lose any of my pictures or contacts on my phone and don't have access to any back ups.
2) the holding the volume thing to get into safe mode doesn't work for some reason, it just goes bright logo and then dimly lit again and stays like that
3) I don't think i have SSH as its only a recent jailbreak and I hadn't gotten round to installing it, and ifunbox doesn't appear to be working (although I don't know how to use it at all)

those are all fairly standard, but heres where i get particularly stuck:
1) I don't have access to my own laptop currently as I cant get access to my house for over a week and i really need a phone in the next day or two- I only have my gfs laptop which has had my phone plugged in before and my friends laptop
2) I tried letting it run out of battery and then turning it back on, but now the other itunes wont read it because it is apparantely locked and I cannot unlock it because I can't get access to my iphone.

So overall I'm lost and have absolutely no clue what I can do to fix it
frown.png
If anyone has anything they think that could get my phone working soon again without me having to lose everything, that would be amazing!

Thank you so much to everyone who tries to help me out here,

Whitey

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be pretty hard to retrieve data off of the device since you can't mount the ramdisk and extract them out, even with professional tools and such. I'd try and see if putting it into Recovery and kicking it out and see if your computer recognizes it using iTools or iExplorer. Otherwise, unfortunately you'd have to lose them

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Thanks Willerz, I'll try that and see if it works- it's just that they were from a long holiday recently and the other stuff is also very important to me. Where could I find iTools and iExplorer and how could I use them? Are there any other programmes that could be used like tinyumbrella or ifunbox? (granted, I have no idea how to use them or where to download them from :p )

iExplorer is by Macroplant, and iTools is an Asian-based tool. Both are similar to iFunbox but with their own unique features or twist. They use iTunes as a base and are fairly straightforward to use, particularly iExplorer as everything is labelled individually

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Okay, thanks Willerz, although I think your other solution in your stickied thread using ILEX may be a good way to go and seems the best solution. Would you agree or disagree?

Yeah, my problem with semi restore is that I don't have access to my own laptop currently and the passcode lock on my phone means I cannot be read on other devices I think, so I can't back it up :( I think I'll go with the ILEX then as the best option and I can PM with any problems I encounter. Is that okay? And is there any way ILEX might accidently wipe everything? Thanks

Not unless you selection option 12 instead of option 1. I've yet to run into a problem or bug where it would accidentally erase user data, and I've used it a good 40-50 times

One question though, I just realised that I don't have the repository installed. Does that mean that ILEX is now not an option? My iphone is detectable on iTunes now, but I can't back it up as there is the password lock on it which I cannot access, so I don't lnow how that's helpful.;

It is read by iExplorer, is there any way I can locate the jailbroken add on that messed up my iphone and is preventing it from booting and delete it via iExplorer?

Unless your device is stuck on the Apple logo front but is actually loaded onto the lockscreen, or your device is in Safe Mode, you cannot.

Then what can I do? :( It's detectable on iExplorer and iTunes now, but is still dimly lit. I tried to kick it out with tinyumbrella but that didn't work either. Is there anything I can do at all? what about ifunbox or other programs?

If it's password protected and you can't get into Safe Mode, then you'll have to wipe the device. You can attempt to mount the RAMDISK and SSH into it to recover the .dmg backup, but I doubt it'd be any good at this point.

Well thanks for all your help, this really is not a nice situation to be in. I guess the lesson learnt is to always have a backup programme installed when jailbroken. It's really annoying, but at least you tried! I'll post here again if I have more to say.

You should be regularly backing up your device in uniform intervals.

Hi guys, I posted a previous thread where you can see my already existing problem, but things have taken a turn for the worse, so let me explain this as I really need something sorted out ASAP.

here's a quick run down:

SPECS:

Jailbroken iPhone 4s with evasi0n jailbreak for 6.0/6.1

Problem: Iphone stuck in recovery mode- showing the connect to itunes

how did I get into this problem: there was the original problem as listed in my preivous thread, however things have escalated. nothing worked to get out of the dimly it apple screen caused by installing a faulty programme- i don't have SSH or anything installed. THe solution I came up with myself was this- my laptop said I needed to update my iphone software to 6.1.3, so I thought doing so would mean my jailbreak would be wiped along with the faulty programme, giving me access to my phone again. In the process of updating it said i needed to back up my iphone, but I couldnt because it was passcode locked, and I couldn't unlock it because it was stuck on the boot screen ( a real bugger). Itunes said it could do it through an alternative method thoiugh, so I said okay, and then got an error message (6) during the software update and now its stuck on the recover screen

twists: I've tried tinyumbrella, iReb, Redsn0w, and forced restarts. I've tried a lot of programmes and nothing seems capable of kicking it out of recovery mode unless someone has any other programmes they would suggest or if i just keep on trying with my current programmes. Also, I don't have a backup on hand and I have a lot of very important stuff on there that I cannot lose, so is there anyway of getting everything back, with or without the jailbreak, without losing the data?

Thanks for all your time :)

As you've tried all the available methods, you cannot retrieve the data from your phone as it's in a state of limbo. The only way to get the device remotely working again is to DFU +shift-click restore using iTunes.