What's new

updating iphone 3G???

Johnny_May74

Reaction score
Not able to update, takes like 4 hours to back up. Any suggestions?

it is probably your internet connection because it needs to download the .ipsw first

The phone is running 3.1.2 (7D11),tried to update and took 4 hrs just to back up. Maybe that's normal? I'm new to the iPhone stuff. So I don't have anything to go by. Wifes got the 4g, & loves it.

It shouldn't take anywhere near that long to back up. If you've never backed up before it will take a while. Once its backed up the first time only the changes will be backed up next time so it wont take long.

My advice is to stick to what your on just now. Updating to any of the 4.x firmwares is not a good idea. The 3g runs rather slow and laggy on ios4...

The problem I'm having is most of the apps now I can't get, and having battery issues, and runs real warm, it's old & I was trying to hold out til the 5 gets here.

The 5 should only be another month or so.

I would still advise to stick to iOS 3. Perhaps a restore to your current firmware will help with the battery and heat issues. I remember my 3G used to get fairly warm when using it for and extended time. So much so that the temp warning would show on the screen so I would put it in the fridge to cool down. Lol. If you're not seeing the warning then I wouldn't worry about it. Also remember your 3G could be over 3 years old so the battery may not be able to hold a full charge...

Kool, thanx for all the feed back!! Was very helpful...

well as far as it taking too long to upgrade, it may be because your connection is slow. the file is pretty big !

also if you want to get ios4 maybe you should look into whited00r for the iphone 3g

if you really want the 4.2.1 then you can update to a custom withed00r firmware (is a custom 3.1.3 that has all visual stuff from 4.2.1). Should be easy to find the withed00r firmware with google, and it said the batery life is very good on ths firmware.Let me know if you was able to do it, if not if you want I can do it online for you, just PM me

Thanks, sorry haven't been on In awhile. Haven't tried upgrading it for awhile, I was just thinking of getting a new phone. My friend was gonna give me her 3gs, so kinda just hanging for a bit. If I get some time later today I might try it. Will let you know what happends