What's new

iPhone 3G Not Picking Up Signal

look you are from queens you and about a good 100,000 att users are down right now i know every att user at my work is you wont see it back up for a bit

tell me why it matters if i have an old sim or new sim. that doesnt matter. because i know when i had my 2g phone i had a non 3g sim and it worked fine. i dont understand why you keep saying not having the data or 3g compatible sim is the issue. my sim card is 3g anyway so that wouldnt even be the reason

i never said i DONT GET data, i said i DONT HAVE data. it is not in my plan.

so let me rephrase everything. i have an ATT sim card; its a 3g sim card with only talk and text NO DATA! i have used that sim in a 3gs and it worked fine. so why am i not getting service on my 3g? the phone knows the sim card is inserted.

is there anything else you need me to clarify ?

Your 3g iphone iOS or hardware is the one causing the issue if i understand well what you mean. The sim card is fine and work just fine in your iphone 3gs, but doesn't makes or receive both calls and sms on the 3g iphone, i will suspect the 3g iphone iOS first of all, is the 3g factory unlocked? or already unlocked? have you try to factory restore the iOS on the 3g iphone?

look you are from queens you and about a good 100,000 att users are down right now i know every att user at my work is you wont see it back up for a bit

you might be right about that statement, but every ATT user in my house has full service. on my iphone4 it is working perfectly fine. the sim card i am trying in iphone 3g is getting service in other phones.

Your 3g iphone iOS or hardware is the one causing the issue if i understand well what you mean. The sim card is fine and work just fine in your iphone 3gs, but doesn't makes or receive both calls and sms on the 3g iphone, i will suspect the 3g iphone iOS first of all, is the 3g factory unlocked? or already unlocked? have you try to factory restore the iOS on the 3g iphone?

well i am using ATT so no need to unlock the phone. and i have tried to do a factory restore, but the thing is that since the sim card is not an iphone plan sim card, i need to jailbreak and activate the phone thru the jailbreak so i can bypass the "connect to itunes" screen...

well i am using ATT so no need to unlock the phone. and i have tried to do a factory restore, but the thing is that since the sim card is not an iphone plan sim card, i need to jailbreak and activate the phone thru the jailbreak so i can bypass the "connect to itunes" screen...
If your iPhone 3g is a factory unlock one, then you will not have any trouble activating the phone by inserting any sim card at all and connecting it to itunes. If it comes to the stage where you have to jailbreak and so on before by pass the activation then i doubt that your 3g is a factory unlocked iphone. I should say that i don't have a deep experience with iphone 3g, but my iphone 4 is a factory unlocked one, and whenever i factory reset it, whatever sim card i have is good to activate the iphone, i do not need to jailbreak it.
Try to jailbreak the iphone 3g, get ultrasnow from cydia and then insert your sim card and see how it goes.

If your iPhone 3g is a factory unlock one, then you will not have any trouble activating the phone by inserting any sim card at all and connecting it to itunes. If it comes to the stage where you have to jailbreak and so on before by pass the activation then i doubt that your 3g is a factory unlocked iphone. I should say that i don't have a deep experience with iphone 3g, but my iphone 4 is a factory unlocked one, and whenever i factory reset it, whatever sim card i have is good to activate the iphone, i do not need to jailbreak it.
Try to jailbreak the iphone 3g, get ultrasnow from cydia and then insert your sim card and see how it goes.

yes i already tried the ultrasnow and still nothing.
let me explain a little bit more of what happens. so when i insert the sim card. it gets the lowest signal bar. then i leave it alone and it pops up no service.

yes i already tried the ultrasnow and still nothing.
let me explain a little bit more of what happens. so when i insert the sim card. it gets the lowest signal bar. then i leave it alone and it pops up no service.

Your description sound exactly like unlocking issue. However as far as i know, ultrasnow should be able to unlock any 3g iphone. I can't say how is ultrasnow nowadays, i'm not using it so i can't talk much about how it's working nowadays. But your issue is purely unlocking issue. What if you factory restore the iOS to a lower firmware than the one you are having right now in the 3g iphone? Maybe ultrasnow will work then? Or you can also take it to Apple store for the genius bar guys to have a look at it and tell you for sure what is the issue with your 3g iphone.

the problem with taking it to the apple store is that they will not do anything to my phone because it is jailbroken and everything

Since you are using att and you sure that there is no need to unlock the phone, then factory reset the iPhone, then all jailbreak stuff will be removed from the iPhone, next you can take it to apple for them to tell you why your factory unlocked iPhone 3g is not picking up signals.

ok but all they are going to do is tell me to get a new phone or replace the sim card slot.

Perhaps the reason you got it for free is because it was faulty. If you've factory reset the phone and tried two different sims that work in other phones then it sounds to me like you have a hardware issue...

oo well. it was free no problem in that. i can use it for parts. or just use it as a gps. or wifi user. just throw it in the car and use it there lol