What's new

(Wifi: ON) But picks up no wifi signals.

Trekzy

Reaction score
Hello, some days ago I decided to see if I could use my old 3G as a spare phone to play around with at home.
I do not have the sim card anymore because I am using a micro sim card for my iPhone 4.

And being lazy I just tried jailbreaking the 3G instead of finding a sim card to activate the phone.
Jailbreaking was succesful, the only thing is, is that the phone wont detect any wifi signals.

So far I have tried:
- Reset network settings, Reset all settings.
- Switched to flight mode, switch on wifi, reboot
- Restored and jailbreak again (As i still dont have a sim card to get passed activate screen)

Phone: iPhone 3G 4.2.1 redsn0w jailbreak

What could be the cause of this? How can I get wifi connection to my phone?

Thanks!

Why not get a SIM card for the phone?

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

No reason really.
Just that I am alone on a Saturday night and bored.

Just thought that there was a way I could by pass the activation without a sim card.
Also I dont see the reason for having 2 sim cards home. But will buy one if I dont have any other choice.

No reason really.
Just that I am alone on a Saturday night and bored.

Just thought that there was a way I could by pass the activation without a sim card.
Also I dont see the reason for having 2 sim cards home. But will buy one if I dont have any other choice.

There are ways to do it without a SIM card, if your phone is jailbroken. I believe the procedure is called hacktivation.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

There are ways to do it without a SIM card, if your phone is jailbroken. I believe the procedure is called hacktivation.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

Yes, exactly what I did. I followed some youtube tutorial.

And now I get no wifi connection.
So i guess my question is simply, is the hacktivation causing my wifi troubles?

There are a few known issues with hacktivating on iOS 6 on the 3GS that may cause this problem, but on the 3G, it shouldn't cause this problem.

Hmm maybe the wifi has always been like this?

I wouldnt know because i lend it to a friend as I had no use of it and just got it back last week.

I will ask him and see if he has stumbled upon problems with the wifi earlier.

What if the wifi did not work before the hacktivation and has always been like this, what are some things I could do to fix this?
Is it a hardware fault ? Any troubleshooting guides?

Thanks

You haven't really got much use with an iPhone 3G as about 40% of the apps require iOS 4.3 and the other 60% require iOS 5. You could use it as a pay as you go backup phone though.

Many thanks,
Software

Posted through the iPF.net application for iPad mini.