What's new

iPhone 3G - No internet access through either 3G or WiFi

fionnabhair

Reaction score
I bought an iphone 3g, second hand unlocked. I have not been able to successfully connect it to the internet for any period of time. The wifi network at first could not be found except when in same room as the router and worked there for a while but now it won’t work there.

I turned off the 3G and restarted the phone and this helped with finding the wifi and it will connect and show full bars at times, but won’t let me access the app store or safari or anything really and will still have a weak signal when outside of the room the router is in.

The router is (wireless N cable gateway) Netgear VMDG280 and I am on t-mobile PAYG.

There are two laptops and an android phone all able to connect to the internet via the router. I have also tried adding the MAC address as an enabled device and changing the channel but that didn’t help either.
It has no problems connecting, but accessing it. I clicked on the wireless name and sometimes there would be details of the ip etc but sometimes there wouldn’t be.

Mobile connection also doesn’t work and when I try to enable the 3G I will even lose the signal and receive ‘no service’ message – I am on t-mobile.
I am currently running it on os 3.1.3 but have had it at 4.2.1 and at 2.2.1 and 4.0.1 all with the same results except the 4.2.1 slows it to a crawl. I heard that baseband might affect it? It is on 05.15.04.

I have reset the network settings, reset all settings, restored the phone, erased all data and settings, reset the router and tried to access the unlockit.co.nz site to at least get service on the mobile network but was never able to connect to it. There is no option under the mobile settings to edit the APN. I have turned off the push mail, switched on and off from aeroplane settings and even put the phone in the fridge but nothing has worked.

Is there anything else I can do with it to try and get it to work?
I have a feeling taking it somewhere or sending it to get fixed would be more than what i paid for it.