What's new

No Wifi ever detected

Calab

Reaction score
My iPhone 3G has not been able to find any WiFi networks for several months. Everything else appears to work fine - Edge, 3G, phonecalls, GPS, Bluetooth.

A couple days ago I completely wiped the phone, installed iOS 4.2.1 fresh, and jailbroke it with Redsn0w. Still no joy.

When I go to the settings page and toggle the Wifi, the spinner comes up for a second and goes away. No network is ever detected. I've also tried installing a couple of Wifi detector apps and they never see anything either.

At this point I'm guessing that it's hardware... but since a lot of how the iPhone works is still a mystery, I'm sure that a setting somewhere could be messed up. Even something that comes over the air from my carrier (Rogers) could be bad.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed with this?

what did you use to jailbreak? try with out jailbreak and see if it makes a difference

Try freezing it like I did accedently. LOL Mine works now but only for a few hours.

ohdayday said:
Try freezing it like I did accedently. LOL Mine works now but only for a few hours.

Don't, that's nothing that will make it work.

Please don't give suggestion like these, you can hurt other peoples phone when you don't even know what can happen later.

Try to do a network reset, it's in Settings, General, Reset, Reset Nework Settings.
Once in a while, I can't connect to Wi-Fi, and this clears it up. Just be aware that passwords to your wi-fi will have to be entered again.

ebrown99 said:
Try to do a network reset, it's in Settings, General, Reset, Reset Nework Settings.
Once in a while, I can't connect to Wi-Fi, and this clears it up. Just be aware that passwords to your wi-fi will have to be entered again.

I would also suggest this. Putting your phone in the freezer is ridiculous.

Has happened to me too.
Took phone into Apple store and problem is wifi hardware apparently. it is not with the Wifi software.
Solution: It will cost $200 plus taxes to repair.

Was told to just upgrade to a 3GS phone or a 4. Not worth fixing.
Phone will work though if you use 3G and through a data plan.

Last edited: