What's new

I want to jailbreak my Iphone 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsc0421

Reaction score
I just restored my Iphone 3G. I don't have a sim card so it wont let me activate the phone. I figure I can just jailbreak or unlock it. I dont use it as a phone so I dont have a sim card. I just want to use it as an Ipod and to run apps. I tried to run redsnow but it wont reconize the 4.0 .ipsw file that I downloaded. Does anyone have and advice or step by step instructions for jailbreaking or unlocking a 3G with no sim card? Thanks for the help.

Update to 4.2.1 through iTunes. Then download the 4.2.1 IPSW for the 3G. Then use Redsn0w to jailbreak. To hacktivate the 3G, during the jailbreaking process on RedSn0w, tick the "deactivate" box under "install Cydia" that will temporarily deactivate your set up by you'll need to keep that deactivated through Cydia

I can't update the phone. Thats the problem. When I connect it to my computer. Itunes tells me to disconnect and insert a SIM card. It wont let me do anything with the phone until I insert a SIM card.

When I try to update it says my phone is "not eligable for this build". How do I get around that? Do I need to update it to a lower version of ios

That means that you're using the wrong IPSW. Make sure that your IPSW matches the version of the iPhone you're using

By "version of the iphone you're using" I assume you mean the model. I have a model A1303 phone which is a 3G. I have downloaded several .ipsw files from different sites for the 3G and when I try to load is either says "the firmware file is not compatible" or the phone is "not elegable for this build".

OK I have figured it out now. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.