What's new

3g not turning on!!!

Bobby5016

Reaction score
Ok so I just bought my iPhone 4 today. I had a 3G and it was jailbroken for a while now, I was planning on selling it, so I went in and chose reset. Now my 3G will not turn on, it will come up to the apple and won't go any further. I'm hoping I didn't screw it up by readying it? It won't even show up on iTunes on my computer. I don't understand it? Any suggestions?
Thanks, bobby

Hi bobby,

What happens when you hold both the power button and Home button in, at the same time, for about 5 or 10 seconds?

Sometimes that's all it is
Otherwise you may need to download a reset program to iTunes and run that.

When I hold both down at the same time it will shut off, but when I go to turn it on it won't go past the home screen.
And what do you mean download reload iTunes?
Thanks, bobby

Try this program linked below, check the 'download links' section for your operating system
The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

Regarding your other question, sorry I cannot help you with English grammar!
There's no reason to reload iTunes, unless your iTunes is also corrupt. Lol

So what am I suppose to do with the umbrella? How do I get it on my iPhone 3G if it won't turn on?

Lol, well thank you!
Now for another stupid question, my computer won't recognize my iPhone now that it won't turn on, from what I'm reading you have to have the computer recognize the iPhone?

when I go to turn it on it won't go past the home screen.
hey Bobby, sorry for the late reply. I haven't had time until now, to reply back.
Now , from what I understand:
  • your iPhone now does not even turn on?
    • Although it did before?
  • also, now your computer does not recognize your iPhone ?
    • Although it did before? (as well.)
Hmm. I see.

Is your iPhone fully charged? Using your iPhone charger?
Have you tried other USB ports on your computer? Or, are you able to try another USB cable? Or, even another computer?

Depending on some or all of your answers to the above, you may need your iPhone serviced, something doesn't sound right here!

Hope that helps :)

My phone will turn on but it freezes at the apple screen, my computer does not recognize it. Now if I plug my charger into the phone, hold the home button and plug it into the computer at the same time than it will come up with the cable to iTunes screen on the phone. I reset it through my computer and it did the same thing, got stuck at the apple screen.
It has got me stumped!

I see this has been up for wlawhile now so you might have fixed this already. Have tried putting your phone in dfu mode? Plug your phone into your computer and make sure its off Hold the power button for 2 seconds then keep holding the power and press and hold the home button until the screen flashes, count 1 second then release the power button only, hold the home button for about 5 more seconds and your phone should be in dfu mode. If your successful you will hear your computer (if its a pc) make its connect and disconnect noises when you turn the phone off then when you are holding the buttons and finally when dfu mode starts, and if youve never been in dfu mode windows will install device drivers for dfu mode. Your screen will be black (no back light) apple and windows should see your phone here. And you can restore it. If it wont coonect to itunes contact the nerds at apple, you may have another issue.

Tiny umbrella is for your pc. Its to boot your phone from recovery and to back up your shsh's so you can restore to old versions when apple stops signing them. Recently they added some fix recovery options for certain codes.