What's new

iphone 3g accidentally updated with blackrain

ponche

Reaction score
Help
I accidentally updated my iphone 3G, ios 4.0, baseband 05.13.4, with blackrain trying to unlock it (after jailbreaking and loading cydia) and now it will not boot past the apple logo. I realized my mistake too late but it was too late to stop. I have since downloaded iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw and tried to restore in itunes, but it tells me "The iphone could not be restored. The device isn't eligible for the requested build." How can I get it back to what I had originally, if anything other than update to the latest apple os (which I DO NOT want to do, if I can help it).
Thanks

I started the process (using your software) and the phone showed the progress bar, but about halfway thru, it stopped and an error message popped up in itunes saying "The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015)". BTW, I'm on a Macbook Pro.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks very much for the help.

Update
I was able to get to the stage where itunes instructed me to install a sim card and reconnect the iphone. I did this by using first iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw and then when it popped up the error message, I then installed iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw. itunes then told me to install a sim card and then reconnect. unfortunately, this is an AT&T phone and I'm in Europe so I don't have a att sim card. Realizing I can by one on eBay, is there anything else I can do to get beyond this message:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone.
Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit supported Carrier’s store to receive a replacement SIM card.

Thanks again for all of the help.

ah ok, you did not mention that you relied on unlock and that the phone was locked to att..

but jailbreak using this guide

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G on OS 3.1.2, 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

or this one iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.1.2 Using RedSn0w (Mac) and then depending on what baseband your on you might be able to use this guide to unlock

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w
the iphone 3g is really unlocked for life now but i need to know what baseband your on so i know what tutorials and what tools you need to use

Hello again,
First off, I didn't mention about unlock and locked to ATT before, because I hadn't reached that stage of the process and didn't know. I bought this phone on eBay and don't know what was done to it prior to me. All I know is it came to me with 4.0, 05.13.04 and I inadvertently loaded black rain (thru cydia, after using jailbreakme.com) instead of red snow. Now it won't load any os; I keep getting the error messages.

I tried your last method, and it still says "The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015)" after trying to load the 3.1.2.

I continued with the rest of the process to see what would happen e.g. loading redsn0w, and it walked me through the process just like it describes in your tutorial but when it finishes installing the activation bundles, it puts me right back at the itunes message saying it detects a phone in recovery mode, not at the spingboard. I'm assuming because 3.1.2 didn't load correctly.

Hopefully this explains my situation enough. Anything else you could think of?

Update
When I go back and try to reload the iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw I get a itunes message saying "The phone is unsupported, etc" after the load, but when I unplug it and wait, a message on the phone itself says "no sim card installed, insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate phone." When I install a non at&t card (I'm overseas, don't have current access to a at&t card, but can buy one on ebay) it informs me I must use an AT&T card. Anyway around this?

Last edited:
I'm back Unleashed! I ordered and received an AT&T card from eBay and that allowed me to get back to the springboard on my phone; hooray! But I see something odd. I now have version 3.1.2 but with the same baseband (05.13.04) and the phone shuts off occasionally. I can only assumed this happened because of the blackrain download. Is there any way I can get it back to ios 4.0 and then unlock it (it isn't unlocked btw, after loading blackrain)? It is still Jailbroke from jailbreakme.com; I tried and it still see's it.

This question is for anyone out there; help!
Thanks