What's new

Unlocked No-Contract iPhone 5?

What the hell am I say.... Forgot this is about the 5 LOL. Yes, for the 5, it's already unlocked, and Verizon has no plans of locking them as of yet. YET. Half of the Verizon reps you see at the store won't know this since they're just focused and trained on how to set up the phone itself. Unlocking a device will need a more experienced rep or even the store manager/senior rep to do.

To test whether or not the iPhone is unlocked, just pop open the SIM tray on the right side of the iPhone, remove the Verizon LTE nano SIM, and replace it with a nano SIM from another company. If you know someone or if you're currently on an AT&T iPhone 5 or a phone that uses a nano SIM, you can just slip it out of the other phone and put it into the Verizon one you just bought and see if you can make calls, surf the web and text as a brief test.
OK, will try that. Thank you so much for your help.

The iPhone 5 from Verizon is unlocked in the box. For the other carriers, if you get a no-contract iPhone 5, you'll need to do a simple reset using iTunes to unlock it. That's assuming that the iPhone isn't tied to the carrier. I know for a fact that it works on AT&T 5's that aren't contracted.

The iPhone 5 from Verizon is unlocked in the box. For the other carriers, if you get a no-contract iPhone 5, you'll need to do a simple reset using iTunes to unlock it. That's assuming that the iPhone isn't tied to the carrier. I know for a fact that it works on AT&T 5's that aren't contracted.
So when they tell me at the store that they need to assign numbers to the phones that won't affect whether it's locked or not right?

An upadate. I bought the phone this morning, but not without a lot of back and forth with the salesperson. Between looks of "You want to do what?" and him insisting the phones aren't unlocked, I managed to buy one. The manager was able to clarify it for him a bit so that saved me from a bunch of further explanations. But I hope I'm not in for some buyer's remorse. I ended up having to pay activation fees I wasn't expecting on top of the 40$ month-to-month that I'll cancel later. Please tell me the "activation" doesn't somehow lock the phone and prevent it's use in China.

As a side not of sorts, as we were checking out the supervisor told us that we were lucky because just as we were finishing Verizon corporate sent down a memo saying that iPhone 5s bought at full retail with the month-to-month would now have to be ordered and the in-store stock is to be saved for contract sales and Black Friday. So we just got in under the wire.

Assuming all's good I'll report back once it makes it's way to China and is actually put to use. Thanks to all for the help.

No. Activating it won't lock up your iPhone. If anything, a soft restore just like I said with the AT&T and other GSM carriers should have your device "unlocked". But the 5 is not locked on Verizon, that I'm 100% positive. I actually just went to 2 of the closest VZW stores as well as the Apple Store where I work, and all 3 places have confirmed that. The 5 on Verizon and Sprint are not locked. If you were to bring it abroad, you should not receive any problems other than APN settings issues that you can easily solve with a foreign carrier.

Let me add a slight clarification. The 3G radio on the iPhone 5 sold by Apple, Verizon and Spring (Model A1429) is unlocked. The LTE radio has not been confirmed, as far as I know, as unlocked because no other provider operates in the VZW LTE Bands at this time.

No. Activating it won't lock up your iPhone. If anything, a soft restore just like I said with the AT&T and other GSM carriers should have your device "unlocked". But the 5 is not locked on Verizon, that I'm 100% positive. I actually just went to 2 of the closest VZW stores as well as the Apple Store where I work, and all 3 places have confirmed that. The 5 on Verizon and Sprint are not locked. If you were to bring it abroad, you should not receive any problems other than APN settings issues that you can easily solve with a foreign carrier.
Great! Thanks again.:)

Let me add a slight clarification. The 3G radio on the iPhone 5 sold by Apple, Verizon and Spring (Model A1429) is unlocked. The LTE radio has not been confirmed, as far as I know, as unlocked because no other provider operates in the VZW LTE Bands at this time.
Yes, that's what I understood as well. No LTE or 4G in China.

Great! I hope it works out for you in China!
BTW how much was the activation fee?

If Dave is talking about the fee for getting a new phone every time you upgrade or renew your plan, then it's the $30 activation fee. Not sure about elsewhere, but in NYC, that goes for all smart, dumb and media phones :/ Just another way to swindle a bit more money out of us ._.'

elias said:
Great! I hope it works out for you in China!
BTW how much was the activation fee?

I'll ask my wife where the receipt is when she wakes up from her Black Friday excursion. LOL

Last edited: