What's new

Unlocked No-Contract iPhone 5?

Before departing for Europe, my son and his wife went to the Apple Store on Michigan Av. in downtown Chicago, bought two unlocked, no contract phones on the spot. Although these phones are obviously expensive, it was much cheaper than going to Europe and getting two iPhones on a contract from the provider (Vodafone, I think) in Italy. Now they're able to just use the phones on a pay-as-you-go basis (it's very easy to put credit on the phones there, all kinds of places, e.g. Bar Tabachi, etc. let you do it), and it's way cheaper than a contract. The other advantage is (since they're military) if they're moved, the iPhones are completely portable. They're in Italy now, if orders suddenly put the service member in the sandbox and the spouse and children back in the States, they can go right on talking.

Before departing for Europe, my son and his wife went to the Apple Store on Michigan Av. in downtown Chicago, bought two unlocked, no contract phones on the spot. Although these phones are obviously expensive, it was much cheaper than going to Europe and getting two iPhones on a contract from the provider (Vodafone, I think) in Italy. Now they're able to just use the phones on a pay-as-you-go basis (it's very easy to put credit on the phones there, all kinds of places, e.g. Bar Tabachi, etc. let you do it), and it's way cheaper than a contract. The other advantage is (since they're military) if they're moved, the iPhones are completely portable. They're in Italy now, if orders suddenly put the service member in the sandbox and the spouse and children back in the States, they can go right on talking.
That's good to hear. It must depend on the store. We went to the Naperville store and they wouldn't even consider it.