What's new

Unlocking?

sweet0070

Reaction score
Hey guys, so i'm on a regular 2 year contract with AT&T which is about to expire in April. I want to get an iPhone but I don't want to pay for the 30$/month data plan. If I buy an unlocked iPhone on craigslist will this allow me to use it with just the regular contract? Also, Once my contract expires with AT&T and I need to renew it, do I have to buy another phone? or can I continue to use the same phone I have. Thanks ahead!

Also, If I buy an iPhone on craigslist that isn't unlocked will I be able to use it on a regular contract and not pay the data plan?

Last edited:
If you plan on staying w/ At&t you don't need to worry about getting an Unlocked iPhone. The only problem w/ purchasing an iPhone and inserting your Sim card... At&t will know that you're using an iPhone/Smartphone and automatically add a data package to your plan. As far as having to buy a new phone when you're contract is over... no. You can contine to use your same phone as long as you keep paying your bill. :)

If you plan on staying w/ At&t you don't need to worry about getting an Unlocked iPhone. The only problem w/ purchasing an iPhone and inserting your Sim card... At&t will know that you're using an iPhone/Smartphone and automatically add a data package to your plan. As far as having to buy a new phone when you're contract is over... no. You can contine to use your same phone as long as you keep paying your bill. :)

So is there anyway I can get an iPhone and not pay the data plan?

Unfortunately no. :-( You can get their 200MB/mo package for $15/mo and still use the Pay as you Go.