What's new

AT&T vs T-Mobile

1badsup

Reaction score
I'm getting tired of paying data & voice overage with AT&T and I'm thinking of switching to T-Mobile. It looks like T-Mobile is trying to get people to switch by buying out their contract and they have cheaper plans. My question is, can I use my AT&T iPhone 5s or do I have to trade it on for a T-Mobile iPhone 5s? How is T-Mobile's coverage in the LA/San Fernando area? Is it worth switching to T-Mobile or should I just switch to a better AT&T plan?

Thanks in advance.

You'll likely have to unlock the device prior to using it with T-Mobile. In some places, T-Mobile does accept AT&T devices as "trade-ins" and will give you a T-Mobile locked device in place of your old device. Not sure if T-Mobile unlocks the device for you, so you may have to call or contact them in some way to verify that.

Previously, T-Mobile only supports 100-250MB of LTE, and the latter amount of data will be at 4G/HSPA+ speeds (which is nothing to laugh at). In more condensed areas like on the east-coast, some users will say AT&T and Verizon are better, but it's really all the same depending on where specifically you are topographically, and whether or not you're at peak hours of use or at the dead of night, etc.

Yes, I can get the unlock code from AT&T. I'd like to hear from the LA folks to see if they have any coverage issues in the area.

You'll likely have to unlock the device prior to using it with T-Mobile. In some places, T-Mobile does accept AT&T devices as "trade-ins" and will give you a T-Mobile locked device in place of your old device. Not sure if T-Mobile unlocks the device for you, so you may have to call or contact them in some way to verify that.

Previously, T-Mobile only supports 100-250MB of LTE, and the latter amount of data will be at 4G/HSPA+ speeds (which is nothing to laugh at). In more condensed areas like on the east-coast, some users will say AT&T and Verizon are better, but it's really all the same depending on where specifically you are topographically, and whether or not you're at peak hours of use or at the dead of night, etc.

I was looking at going the other way (T-mobile to AT&T) and the iPhone 5s can be unlocked and used on either carrier because it supports all the bands (both Tmo & AT&T) They have a few phones that work that way. :)

I was looking at going the other way (T-mobile to AT&T) and the iPhone 5s can be unlocked and used on either carrier because it supports all the bands (both Tmo & AT&T) They have a few phones that work that way. :)

Aside from the cost, I think AT&T would be a great choice. I've had AT&T for a long time and I have no complaints with voice and data coverage nationwide. If I were single i won't be thinking of switching either as the difference in monthly cost is not too bad. But for a family plan with 4 phones, the difference in monthly cost is more than half.

They do just ask them for the code & they will send it to your phone. Or you can call & ask for it over myTmobile.

T-mobile won't unlock your phone, make sure your get att to do that before you go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi ! Any site there I can bay iPhone 5s low price ?! Thank you :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I signed up with AT& T. I never used any data except with WIFI yet after a week or so, at 3:00 am the iPhone beeps me awake and I had a message saying I exceeded my data limits and there would be additional charges/charge. I canceled the service and they were very nice about it. Didn't give me any grief at all.

I now have the $30 a month plan with T-Mobile. I get unlimited 4G data and texts but only 100 minutes talk time for the iPhone 5. I've also had a $100 per year plan that included 1000 minutes but no data. I used that by using WIFI data where ever available. I switched over when T-Mobile updated the iPhone 5 to work with 4G. Prior to that the internet speed was just too slow to the point of being unusable.

T-Mobile can be difficult to work with. As an example there have been conflicting statements from the store staff vs national support staff. This caused having to go the the store repeatedly and making multiple phone calls to the national office to sign up for their service or change the plan. Ultimately it takes getting to the right person who can make the decision.

100 minutes are you kidding me I have used 800 alwritie and the month starts over next week lol

Unlimited data sounds nice I have a gb but use mostly wifi