What's new

Cant keep unlimited data with AT&T and use wireless FaceTime

MyiBroke

Reaction score
Unlike AT&T, Verizon Will Give You Unrestricted Access To FaceTime Over Cellular | Cult of Mac

AT&T Won't Charge for FaceTime Over Cellular, Will Require New Mobile Share Plan - Mac Rumors

AT&T giving free FaceTime calls only to Mobile Share customers - Los Angeles Times

There are articles and reviews on this everywhere. What do you guys think?

Basically if you have unlimited you can use Facetime on the i5 until you switch to a restricted data plan. Is this any way to treat loyal long time customers?

You are basically two months late for that conversation. Feel free to use the search feature on the subject.

And AT&T can do what ever they want. If you choose to stay with them, then you have supported their choice.

Pretty simple actually.

See I just don't see myself using face time that much myself. If you are still on an unlimited plan and you are using face time now, maybe you're not using as much as you think. Check out how much data you use each month. Between my wife and I we don't even use half a gb.

I still have unlimited and will until my wife gets a new phone but we will be fine with Verizons 4 gb share plan. And I think we will save $20.00 a month.

I think the people using a lot of data are those who are using their phone as a wireless hot spot or listen to Pandora and such on an all day basis. I suppose if you are a long time talker or have a lot of friends who use face time that may cause some data usage, but certainly not as much as the others I have described.

I can see ATT wanting to get people off of the unlimited plan and using facetime as a lure to shared data plans.
But... what bothers me is that I'm NOT on an unlimited plan and I still can't get facetime over cellular. I'm on a family plan with my line having their new 3gb a month cap...., only way to get facetime would be change all lines (5) over to shared data or go on my own. Going on my own would be more $ out of my pockets each month. 2 lines on the family plan have unlimited data so changing all over to shared is'nt going to happen. Ridiculous..!

You are basically two months late for that conversation. Feel free to use the search feature on the subject.

And AT&T can do what ever they want. If you choose to stay with them, then you have supported their choice.

Pretty simple actually.

You are right I should have hit the search function. My bad. I read a review that had been shared 200k times on a friends FB feed today and it was the first Ive heard of it. I live online but not necessarily in the news portion of it.

With that being said, I was planing on getting the i5 with ATT just paying out of pocket because Im not on contract with them. But it looks like I will be shopping elsewhere for my cell service once all of the hype dies down.