What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPhone4S on 5.0 or 5.0.1 with Absinthe

I just finished jail braking my 4S. I followed the steps in box one, including:

If you are feeling up to it, the best way to proceed is to backup your device (on iCloud or iTunes), use iTunes to restore a fresh install of 5.0.1 (make sure you read the fist part of this preparation to know whether you can do this or not!) and then jailbreak. Once the JB is done in a few minutes you can then restore your initial device backup and all your apps and settings will be put back as they should be!

Start t
o finish (backup in iTunes, factory restore, reload to new, run absinthe, set up Cydia, restore backup) took about 20 minutes.

Thanks f4780y for this
excellent tutorial!!!

Mike

You are very welcome Mike. Glad to have you over on the dark side :D
Enjoy your jailbreak.

hey i been trying to jailbreak my iphone 4s from diferent computers and the downloadin bar wont move all n then it would crash any suggestions ? please

hey i been trying to jailbreak my iphone 4s from diferent computers and the downloadin bar wont move all n then it would crash any suggestions ? please

Can you please provide some additional information

Why different computers?

What download bar are you referencing? (downloading the zip file or doing the actual jail brake with Absinthe)

Great!!! Thanks saving this! I'm not ready yet lol but when I am I'll do it this way! Awesome!thanks thanks thanks !

VPN Connection, A configuration error occurred is the message that i keep getting tried downloading cydia like ten times, even restored phone numerous times and reloaded absinthe. Please help as i am not a computer genius. Please IM me as soon as possible. Oh yeah running 5.0.1 on the verizon network with iPhone 4s

I recall others mentioning this. Their solution, tap settings, turn on the Cydia VPN that was installed. Have you tried that?

I have my notes and a couple more icons, white out on home screen? any solution?

Hi guys, new here and a bit of a noob in general to this jailbreaking stuff. I hope it is ok for me to be posting here, with this problem. I upgraded following the directions, but I seem to be missing SBS Settings? Can anyone assist me? I have tried to find it on my phone, but it is no where to be found. I have tried to download/install it from Cydia but can return only themes for SBS Settings. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! :)

EDIT:
For those with WHITE OUT icons, I've read simply installing any app ( free or paid ) from Cydia will fix the problem. A Respring/Reboot probably wouldn't hurt either. Hope it helps! Worked for me! :) Still having SBS Setting issue though. : /

Last edited:
Hi guys, new here and a bit of a noob in general to this jailbreaking stuff. I hope it is ok for me to be posting here, with this problem. I upgraded following the directions, but I seem to be missing SBS Settings? Can anyone assist me? I have tried to find it on my phone, but it is no where to be found. I have tried to download/install it from Cydia but can return only themes for SBS Settings. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! :)

I downloaded SBSettings from Cydia. Once installed, open settings, tap notifications, tap SBSettings and turn on Notification center. Next, open the SBSettings app, turn on Show icon tap the options and select.

To access pull down your notification bar.

Hope this is helpful

I downloaded SBSettings from Cydia. Once installed, open settings, tap notifications, tap SBSettings and turn on Notification center. Next, open the SBSettings app, turn on Show icon tap the options and select.

To access pull down your notification bar.

Hope this is helpful

Hey mwhartman, thanks for the help. I searched SBSettings and I return 1 result, that isn't a theme or something else, and when I try to download and install it from Cydia, I get the error('s) below:
"GPG error: yourcydiarepo.com. / Release: The following signatures were invalid : NO DATA 1 NO DATA 2"
" I wasnt able to locate file for the libactivator package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package"

Can you, or anyone, tell me what this means?

Thanks again!

I have no idea what that is or why you received it. Are you using the Cydia app on your phone?

I have no idea what that is or why you received it. Are you using the Cydia app on your phone?

Yes I am.

After some research, I deleted the repo/sourse yourcydiarepo.com from my sources, now I am not getting that error. Hmm weird, guess that source was invalid or bad. Thanks for the help either way though, I really do appreciate it. :)

I'm not the best source for jail breaking but it is strange that the error link was to that site. I've not added any additional sources and that particular source is not on my phone.

With that repo removed were you able to download SBSettings?

I'm not the best source for jail breaking but it is strange that the error link was to that site. I've not added any additional sources and that particular source is not on my phone.

With that repo removed were you able to download SBSettings?

I was, everything seems to be working fine now. Got SBSettings working and in the notification center. Thanks. :)

Now I'm just trying to find a good place to find some nice iPhone 4s themes. So far I'm having to look for iPhone 4 themes. Which I imagine should still work correctly, and look just as good.