What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPhone4S on 5.0 or 5.0.1 with Absinthe

Limeliz

Reaction score
I'm having trouble jailbreaking my iPhone 4S with 5.0.1. I've read all guides and tutorials I can find on the web and tried everything but I can't seem to get past the "Beginning jailbreak, this may take a while..."-screen. First time I waited 45 minutes without anything happening. Then I tried a few more times and also on another computer. At most I waited 2 hours before I aborted because nothing was happening and the computer wasn't working.

I notice that during the first 7 minutes data is copied to my harddrive (a folder with what seems like a random name like "s74s", "srs" or "s5uk.1" in the root of my drive and inside what seems like backup-files from my phone). The syncing-icon is displayed on the iPhone (at the top of the screen, where carrier and clock is shown). The backup-files (names that look like long md5-strings) are first copied into a folder called "Snapshot" and then moved to the folder above "Snapshot" (from: "K:\s5uk.1\f17490eace521be54351d7d2efc1bf5e4ebdcd1b\Snapshot\" to "K:\s5uk.1\f17490eace521be54351d7d2efc1bf5e4ebdcd1b\"). After this I notice no activity whatsoever.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate and have tried running Absinthe (version win-0.4) as both administrator and in compability-mode (Win XP SP2) but with no success. I've tried restarting both iPhone and computer and also tried on another computer.
I've read that you can (read: could) restore your phone, do the jailbreak and then restore the backup, but this isn't possible anymore I think because hasn't Apple closed the signing-window for 5.0.1 since they released 5.1, so I can't restore back to 5.0.1 anymore (right?).

Anyone got any clues to what I can do?

zig9449

Reaction score
I'm having trouble jailbreaking my iPhone 4S with 5.0.1. I've read all guides and tutorials I can find on the web and tried everything but I can't seem to get past the "Beginning jailbreak, this may take a while..."-screen. First time I waited 45 minutes without anything happening. Then I tried a few more times and also on another computer. At most I waited 2 hours before I aborted because nothing was happening and the computer wasn't working.

I notice that during the first 7 minutes data is copied to my harddrive (a folder with what seems like a random name like "s74s", "srs" or "s5uk.1" in the root of my drive and inside what seems like backup-files from my phone). The syncing-icon is displayed on the iPhone (at the top of the screen, where carrier and clock is shown). The backup-files (names that look like long md5-strings) are first copied into a folder called "Snapshot" and then moved to the folder above "Snapshot" (from: "K:\s5uk.1\f17490eace521be54351d7d2efc1bf5e4ebdcd1b\Snapshot\" to "K:\s5uk.1\f17490eace521be54351d7d2efc1bf5e4ebdcd1b\"). After this I notice no activity whatsoever.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate and have tried running Absinthe (version win-0.4) as both administrator and in compability-mode (Win XP SP2) but with no success. I've tried restarting both iPhone and computer and also tried on another computer.
I've read that you can (read: could) restore your phone, do the jailbreak and then restore the backup, but this isn't possible anymore I think because hasn't Apple closed the signing-window for 5.0.1 since they released 5.1, so I can't restore back to 5.0.1 anymore (right?).

Anyone got any clues to what I can do?

Download Absinthe from a different browser, or from a guest account on your PC.

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a Mac and I do not recall Absinthe adding any files to my Mac. I did a factory reset and install which is not doable no since Apple is no longer signing 5.0.1

Do you have the most current version of iTunes? If so, try download a fresh copy of Absinthe. Perhaps the one you have is corrupt.

banditgrrr

Reaction score
Need help please. I just installed Absinthe v04. I have a brand new 4S using 5.0.1 (9A406). Everything seems to go through the process. I leave my phone connected, I open the Absinthe icon and it has a message "Didnt' work? go to VPN...etc". I go to the VPN settings, I turn it on and I get an error. The problem is that my phone never reboots. I left it sitting for about 15 minutes after turning on the VPN. Still no reboot. I'm getting the same message of "URL cannot be shown" and that's as far as I get. Can someone please give advice on how to get Cydia on my springboard?

zig9449

Reaction score
banditgrrr said:
Need help please. I just installed Absinthe v04. I have a brand new 4S using 5.0.1 (9A406). Everything seems to go through the process. I leave my phone connected, I open the Absinthe icon and it has a message "Didnt' work? go to VPN...etc". I go to the VPN settings, I turn it on and I get an error. The problem is that my phone never reboots. I left it sitting for about 15 minutes after turning on the VPN. Still no reboot. I'm getting the same message of "URL cannot be shown" and that's as far as I get. Can someone please give advice on how to get Cydia on my springboard?

I am too experienced with A5 on and Absinthe, but you you tried Hard rebooting it, and running Absinthe again?

But I also heard that Absinthe won't work if it recognizes the device was already jailbroken...but I would look into that also. Just sayin...that probably where I would start.

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two things to consider;

Do you have the most recent version of iTunes?

Download Absinthe again and rerun.

Did you do a factory reset before you ran Absinthe? If so, when you installed a new iOS that may have installed 5.1

slatey

Reaction score
not working for me using a orange iphone 4s then a vodafone sim.i get a message on the iphone screen only compatible sim cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iphone.please insert sim card that came with iphone.this is after several mins of the phone booting up succesfully i can use it to look around until then.

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are you using? What error message are you receiving? What is your current OS?

Most reactions