What's new

Thinking about throwing in the towel...

MrBenchMark

Reaction score
I purchased an iPhone 4 from Verizon (v 4.2.8) several weeks ago and almost immediately was very curious about the whole jailbreaking thing.

I read and read and am still reading about how to accomplish this and it seems (unless I am wrong) every person that writes a thread about "how to do it" and you follow the links, they almost always seem to go nowhere, or are broken or don't work or people are having problems with the process, ad infinitum ad nausea.

I've even sat back and followed a thread that supposedly was to be 'the one' that would work, and as I followed the thread silently, I witnessed person after person tell their stories of how this didn't work or that didn't work. Then someone would come along and write, "hold on hold on...this is what you do and it works!", then like before...no it didn't work either. Now of course there was always an exception to the rule whereas one out of several people would actually experience a successful jailbreak while the others were left scratching their heads in confusion.

Now, it might be worth noting I have yet to even attempt to jailbreak my phone and for good reason (see above). I am however still curious and wanting to jailbreak my phone but I'm waiting for some thread to come along that has a great deal of success instead of a hit and miss success rate.

Your turn...

Last edited:
If you follow that jailbreaking thread very well and do not rush and missing steps, you will jailbreak successfully. But if you are not sure how to do it, then your actual position is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you follow that jailbreaking thread very well and do not rush and missing steps, you will jailbreak successfully. But if you are not sure how to do it, then your actual position is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bab, which one are you referring to?

This one,

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-4-hacking-17/how-guide-jailbreak-ios-4-2-8-verizon-iphone-pwnage-tool-untethered-mac-12646/

or this one?

How to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.8 on Verizon (CDMA) iPhone 4 Untethered? | Jaxov

Follow the thread opened by Unleashed. You have nothing to lose by doing it. It's all your call.

go to the bigboss.org site (google "bigboss jailbreak") it will give you the steps (and links to the proper firmware). follow those exactly. note: the exact tool will depend on: which iphone model, which firmware, and which computer OS you have. bigboss gives the exact steps and also links to the proper firmware. go slow, do as it says. (other useful sites: the devteam blog, hackintosh (home of the devteam), appleiphoneschool, and modmyi.

but bigboss site will get the job done. any problems, just restore your phone.

Follow the thread opened by Unleashed. You have nothing to lose by doing it. It's all your call.

Respectfully bab, are you stating how his procedure will work in spite of the other comments within that thread to the contrary?

dont do it! its not worth it nothing but problems with jb! thats all you see on this forum are jb problems!

dont do it! its not worth it nothing but problems with jb! thats all you see on this forum are jb problems!

Can't tell if you're being sarcastically humorous or being genuinely sincere...lol.

You can get the best out from that thread by not making the mistakes others have made.
Download the right iOS to your computer, or get it from your itunes files if you have already upgrade your iOS, get the right jailbreak tool depend on your operating system and do the jailbreak. Make sure that you get tinyUmbrella to save your currant shsh to be able to downgrade just to be on the safer side. I don't see what you are losing except time in case it doesn't work out for you.

Dont let people having problems put you off... you see endless threads with people that have problems using greenpois0n or limera1n and then you use it and you dont get one single problem...

I have never in my life had a single problem with jailbreaking in all 4 years of doing it.. and i use these methods that i post or that phil posts with the tools such as gp or redsn0w or what ever is available at the time for that firmware

bab2010 said:
You can get the best out from that thread by not making the mistakes others have made.
Download the right iOS to your computer, or get it from your itunes files if you have already upgrade your iOS, get the right jailbreak tool depend on your operating system and do the jailbreak. Make sure that you get tinyUmbrella to save your currant shsh to be able to downgrade just to be on the safer side. I don't see what you are losing except time in case it doesn't work out for you.

I am also considering JBing my VZ iPhone4. I am currently running 4.2.8 and just tried saving my blob with TinyUmbrella. I can get TU running and it can initiate the save option, but nothing is saved. BTW using newest TU on a Win7 64 bit system. I have checked port 80 and nothing is monitoring it.

My take is that I shouldn't try to JB unless I can get my blob saved. Any ideas?

bab2010 said:

I am also considering JBing my VZ iPhone4. I am currently running 4.2.8 and just tried saving my blob with TinyUmbrella. I can get TU running and it can initiate the save option, but nothing is saved. BTW using newest TU on a Win7 64 bit system. I have checked port 80 and nothing is monitoring it.

My take is that I shouldn't try to JB unless I can get my blob saved. Any ideas?

no saving your shsh blobs enables you to downgrade if you should have any problems or for what ever reasons, maybe there is a jb app on an earlier firmware that works and you cant live with out it... you dont have to save them to jailbreak and i personally have never saved them and never downgrade but its totally up to you..

Thanks for the reply. If I do JB and a new iOS is released what's the procedure for updating the JBed phone. Similarly, if I decide to unJB the phone after a new iOS is released, what are my options if I don't have SHSHs saved.

Thanks for the reply. If I do JB and a new iOS is released what's the procedure for updating the JBed phone. Similarly, if I decide to unJB the phone after a new iOS is released, what are my options if I don't have SHSHs saved.

a new os will be released its just a matter of when... and so you just either upgrade then wait for the devs to jailbreak and release a tool for the latest firmware or wait to upgrade until there is a new jailbreak...

If you decide to "un jailbreak" all you do is restore and the jailbreak is gone, you dont need any shsh blobs saved for that either.

the only reason you would need shsh blobs is if you upgraded to say 4.3 or what ever the new ios for verizon will be and then you decide hey i hate this firmware for what ever reason and want to go back to 4.2.8 then you would need shsh blobs