What's new

Updated OTA Jailbroke worked?

Vital

Reaction score
Hello, I've been seeing a couple of threads about people's jailbreaks failing (stuck at apple logo ect...) and then people replying a long the lines of "It's because you updated OTA".

Im just curious on why my jailbreak worked because I updated OTA (from ios 5.1.1 to ios 7.0.4)

Extra info
jailbroke with evasion7 v1.0.1
Updated OTA iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 7.0.4

Thanks

Hello, I've been seeing a couple of threads about people's jailbreaks failing (stuck at apple logo ect...) and then people replying a long the lines of "It's because you updated OTA".

Im just curious on why my jailbreak worked because I updated OTA (from ios 5.1.1 to ios 7.0.4)

Thanks

Honestly, I think it's because you got lucky. As a general rule, OTA updates don't work well with evasi0n (even the evaders caution against it in their instructions). However, some people have reported they've had success...

But, more people have trouble jail breaking an OTA-installed iOS than don't. And, the solution of restoring from iTunes instead of OTA seems to work most of the times. So, as a general rule ... don't jail break if you've used OTA.

In every data set, there will be outliers. You just happen to be one of them. :)

Marilyn

Performing a straight OTA from iOS 5 to iOS 7 will net you a boatload of system archive issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapa

Honestly, I think it's because you got lucky. As a general rule, OTA updates don't work well with evasi0n (even the evaders caution against it in their instructions). However, some people have reported they've had success...

But, more people have trouble jail breaking an OTA-installed iOS than don't. And, the solution of restoring from iTunes instead of OTA seems to work most of the times. So, as a general rule ... don't jail break if you've used OTA.

In every data set, there will be outliers. You just happen to be one of them. :)

Marilyn

What is OTA?

Thanks to all the people who have replied. I asked a couple of my friends that have jailbroken if they updated OTA and 6/7 said that they did and their jailbreak was successful, I guess we are just the lucky ones