What's new

TetherMe being detected by Verizon? & outside the USA ?

I was on the phone with a Verizon rep today. He said the only way to keep unlimited data and it be 4G is to get a 4G phone before they change their plans. Even if you buy a phone at full retail that is 4G after the plan change you will lose the unlimited data.

That is the same thing Verizon told me..

Sent from iPhone 4s
Tapatalk

I went into Verizon and they said that buying a 4G phone right now wouldn't do anything. They said no matter what, if you use a phone upgrade at any point in the future to get an LTE phone, you will lose your unlimited plan and the only way to stay grandfathered in is to buy any future phones at full retail price.

lol freaking verizon.....but it couldn't last forever I guess.

I lose unlimited then they lose my house as a customer... Not that they will care.

Skull One said:
That rep was incorrect for two reasons.

1) Your contract states that they can't.
2) Verizon's corporate office stated they won't.

This is how he explained it. Right now if you have unlimited 3G data it is just that. 3G they separate 3G and 4G data. So if you buy a 4G phone it needs a 4G data plan which would mean that after there new plans the rep is correct. In order to use the LTE network they have divided it down the middle. Its a pretty smart business move. I have a couple of lines and decided to look at everything. My bill under data says 3G/4G since my phone before this was a 4G phone. I've looked at a friends bill and it just has 3G in the same place. So with that, you're right about the contract, they will just make you switch plans to use their separate 4G services. This is much like they do with their unlimited data for the nonsmartphones that they still offer. As far as corporate saying they won't. Well we've all see how they throw smoke up or leave out information. I hope this isn't the path they will choose to go.

Last edited:
For those with Verizon, does TetherMe still work undetected if I don't use too much data?

Thanks for your response. I have read that it still can be traced so I'm sorta skeptical of using this. How can I know for sure that it's safe to use with Verizon?

Wild said:
Thanks for your response. I have read that it still can be traced so I'm sorta skeptical of using this. How can I know for sure that it's safe to use with Verizon?

Idk man...take the risk.

Its 5 flippin dollars.

Better then $20 for MyWi.

And if it makes you feel any better then:

I have Verizon as well

I have been using TetherMe for over a year with success. No calls or warnings from Verizon at all

Never has Verizon contacted me.

And even if they did some how, some way...detect that you were tethering without a tether plan(which will *NOT* happen I GUARANTEE) then nothing will happen.

You know why?

Because if it's anything like AT&T did when they detected users tethering with MyWi then what they will do is tell you to stop tethering or they will add a tethering plan to your account. ( at which case you deny tethering and say you have to use a lot of data due to not having wifi).

When they say that...all ya gotta do is say:

"sh** you will. If you do, I'm dropping Verizon and switching to another carrier".

Works every time.

You can win almost any battle with Verizon if you threaten to drop the service...

Just pretend that you will pay the early termination fee with no problem at all and say that you will gladly pay the early termination fee.

They pretty much do whatever ya ask after that...trust me...been there...done that. Not with tethering tho...other charges.hehe.

Thank you! Great information/post! So would jailbreaking just for this option be worth it? And would it slow down my device at all?

Thank you! Great information/post! So would jailbreaking just for this option be worth it? And would it slow down my device at all?

I personally jailbreaking period is worth it...even if you only plan on using one thing.

Jailbreaking does *not* slow down the device one bit.

What slows down your device is installing too many tweaks.

You have to install a lot if tweaks before your device starts to slow down tho.

Do you have an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S?

I personally jailbreaking period is worth it...even if you only plan on using one thing.

Jailbreaking does *not* slow down the device one bit.

What slows down your device is installing too many tweaks.

You have to install a lot if tweaks before your device starts to slow down tho.

Do you have an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S?

I have a 4S. I might do it then as long as I can go back if I don't like it...absinthe is the way to go, right?

And also, do I need to backup my iPhone or will i not need to do so?

Last edited:
Wild said:
I have a 4S. I might do it then as long as I can go back if I don't like it...absinthe is the way to go, right?

And also, do I need to backup my iPhone or will i not need to do so?

Because you have an iPhone 4S you will have to restore the phone fresh before jailbreaking. NOT from a backup.

First plug in phone, back it up.

Then restore...setup as new device. Do not sync or download anything to the device at all. Follow the initial on screen setup just to where you can access the SpringBoard(home screen).

Once you see the SpringBoard, don't do anything. Close iTunes, open Absinthe or redsn0w and jailbreak.

You MUST wait for Absinthe/redsn0w tells you the jailbreak is done. Dont pay attention to the device...pay attention to the tool jailbreaking it.

Once jailbreak is complete...you can open iTunes, right click on your devices name, and restore from the latest backup.

Ok, I *finally* jailbroke & installed TeatherMe....
It was an easy install

I understand i will eventually loose my unlimited plan due to wanting to upgrade- but I'll leave that for the future.

Last edited:
Ok, I *finally* jailbroke & installed TeatherMe....
It was an easy install

I understand i will eventually loose my unlimited plan due to wanting to upgrade- but I'll leave that for the future.

WOW! That really was quite a while to take the plunge! :D

Good luck with your tethering!