What's new

Busted by ATT for Tethering

Kensterfly

Reaction score
I had posted earlier that I had received a warning text from ATT who had detected tethering via my use of MyWi. I immediately sought advise here and was led to "TetherMe," which I promptly installed and, after a few rough spots, I got it running smoothly.

I've been on the road for a week and came home to find a letter from ATT telling me that they are automatically changing my data plan to their Pro Plan, which is 4 gigs and tethering for $45 a month. Just $20 more than what I am paying now.

The letter says that I can call them and turn down the plan but it will automatically be reinstated if they detect tethering again. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan but have never gone over 2G a month.
Frankly, I think I'll just go ahead and take their offer. I used to pay $70 a month for HughesNet Satellite service, as that was the only broadband we could get out here in the country. I only went to tethering after ATT boosted their cell signal and we finally started getting decent 3G signals inside our metal roof house.

So, it looks like it's farewell to hacked tethering for me. I can live with $20 and not have to worry about getting busted anymore, plus going back to wireless tethering.

One question: how can I tether to a PC? Use the USB cable from iPhone to PC? Get a USB wifi receiver? No problem with my laptop but my PC was always hardwired to a router and broadband modem before I dropped the HughesNet service.

Cheers.

Ken

You should be able to use it just like with TetherMe me, I will suggest to remove TetherMe and then just use the Hotstpot in the same way but now it will count against you 4g a month.