What's new

Text message from ATT re: tethering??

Kensterfly

Reaction score
I just got a text message from ATT saying that tethering requires a special data plan and to call some phone number.
I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and use MiWi 4.0 exclusively for my internet access. I have no choice. There is nothing else available in our rural area. I'd be happy to jump on DSL but ATT won't offer digital lines out here.

So, how do they even know that I am tethered? I don't use a great deal of data. I rarely ever download even a song from iTunes and never do games or videos or movies. If I need to download a big file update I go to the nearest Starbucks. I just don't download much through my iPhone.

It's not really technically tethered except when I use the cable to charge the phone while I'm on line with my laptop. I always connect via the MiWi wireless function.

So, am I about to be busted by ATT? Again, I don't know they can tell that I'm not just getting my email and Facebook stuff directly to my phone and not via MiWi.

Advise, please?

AT&T started cracking down on mywi users a few months back. They will change your plan without your consent and charge you for tethering if you don't cease. Try using tetherme, it's not detectable.

AT&T know the difference between data downloaded to your phone and data downloaded to your laptop via your phone. Cable or wireless it's all classed as tethering. Doens matter if its a few MB or GB. Even if you don't go near your usage limit they still want you to fork out for their tethering plans.

Apparently there's another tethering app that AT&T can't tell the difference with but I can't remember the name or comfirm this...

*edit* Was writing this reply while iCrank posted. Tether me is what I was thinking of...

Last edited:
Ya stop using MyWi immediately. You can use TetherMe which is less detectable since it enables native tethering instead of tethering through a 3rd party application.

WOW, i had no clue they could detect that kind of stuff, pretty crappy...

jbs06civicsi said:
WOW, i had no clue they could detect that kind of stuff, pretty crappy...

Where have you been. Lol...darkstar reported this in august.

PDANet also provides the capability to work in an "undetectable" mode, just like TetherMe's default options, which I've just discovered I had the "opposite" understanding of... - I'd always assumed enabling native tethering by default used the standard tethering APN - it does not ;)

Last edited:
I've paid for and installed TetherMe... three times today.... and can't find it anywhere on my phone? It says there is no icon.... that you have to go to Settings/Network but I don't see anything there that identifies itself as Tether me.
What's going on here.

Also, every time that I downloaded and installed the app I lost all ATT phone signal. It went from searching to No signal and stayed that way until I did a hard reboot.
Something doesn't seem right here.

Kensterfly said:
I've paid for and installed TetherMe... three times today.... and can't find it anywhere on my phone? It says there is no icon.... that you have to go to Settings/Network but I don't see anything there that identifies itself as Tether me.
What's going on here.

Also, every time that I downloaded and installed the app I lost all ATT phone signal. It went from searching to No signal and stayed that way until I did a hard reboot.
Something doesn't seem right here.

It's in the settings. Scroll down and you should see the tab.

See attached pic

Attachments

• $IMG_0118.jpg
    $IMG_0118.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 350
It's perfectly normal to see the signal drop when it installs. This is just it patching the necessary files.

As Crank and Frog said, the settings are in the iPad Settings app in the second section of apps along with all your other Cydia tweaks which have settings... However, you really should not need to mess with these at all. You should simply be able to turn on the personal hotspot tethering which should now also be in your Settings app towards the top of the list...

It says there is no icon.... that you have to go to Settings/Network but I don't see anything there that identifies itself as Tether me.
What's going on here.

TetherMe enables native tethering, that's why it does not have an icon. All you do is go into settings and turn your personal hotspot on and you're good to go.