What's new

Should I upgrade from 4.1?

Kensterfly

Reaction score
I'm quite happy with my ATT iP4 running 4.1. It's jailbroken and about the only thing I run of any importance is MyWi 4.0 and My3G for Facetime.

I use MyWi exclusively for my home broadband connection and have canceled our Hughesnet connection, saving $70 a month for marginal service in our rural area where DSL or cable is not an option.

If I upgrade to OS 4.5 or whatever we're at now, I have a great fear of not having a smooth Jailbreak update and thus losing my only broadband connection.

So, again, is there anything major in the last few OS upgrades that would really warrant an update, or should I just keep what I have until something major comes along?

Thanks!

Ken

I'm quite happy with my ATT iP4 running 4.1. It's jailbroken and about the only thing I run of any importance is MyWi 4.0 and My3G for Facetime.

I use MyWi exclusively for my home broadband connection and have canceled our Hughesnet connection, saving $70 a month for marginal service in our rural area where DSL or cable is not an option.

If I upgrade to OS 4.5 or whatever we're at now, I have a great fear of not having a smooth Jailbreak update and thus losing my only broadband connection.

So, again, is there anything major in the last few OS upgrades that would really warrant an update, or should I just keep what I have until something major comes along?

Thanks!

Ken

dear ken. if you are enjoying and need to use mywi please do not upgrade to the latest firmware 4.3.5. a tethered jailbreak is the only option for jailbreaking.
sincerely icrank...

I'm with iCrank. But that said... ;)

Since you are jailbroken you are perhaps having your SHSH Blobs saved by Cydia? Or perhaps you have been using TinyUmbrella already?

If you follow this tutorial exactly as written you will find out exactly what versions of IOS you are entitled to install as this will retrieve all the SHSH Blobs for your device -http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/hacking-tutorials-guides-68/how-save-your-shsh-blobs-using-tinyumbrella-18924/

If 4.3.3 is on the list, and you don't rely on a software carrier unlock, you could consider upgrading to that as it is likely to remain the "golden" JB firmware version for some time to come.

The choice is yours, but to be honest, it does not sound as though you really need an upgrade at this stage given your stated setup.