What's new

iPhone 4 with 4.1 jailbroken with 02.10.04 - should I upgrade?

qlfwyyd

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got an iPhone 4 jailbroken on iOS 4.1 with baseband 02.10.04. It isn't unlocked (and I presume is not unlockable either, unless I changed my baseband to the iPad one). I've just found out I'm going overseas for three months at the end of the year, so I'm hoping an unlock will be announced by then so I can go avoid the horrific roaming charges while I'm there.

My question is: is it worth upgrading the OS in the meantime? I basically only use my jailbreak for MyWi and SBSettings, and I'm happy enough to give up SBSettings now that Apple has their own version of Personal Hotspot. The only reason I'm holding off on upgrading is because I don't want to lose the chance to unlock if I need it at the end of the year.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? What baseband will my iPhone 4 be changed to if I upgrade to OS 4.3.1? Is it likely there'll be an unlock for that baseband in the next five to six months?

It's more than lilkley the 4.3.1 unlock will be the next one out. The devs won't waste their time with the 4.1 baseband now. I would still stick to the baseband your on as you never know which unlock will come out next. You don't want to update to 4.3.1 to find out a few weeks later the 4.1 unlock has become available? Lol.

The iPad baseband doesn't work for iPhone 4's, only the 3G and 3GS.

You could always update to 4.3.1 while preserving your baseband to that of 4.1. That way you will have best of both worlds...

How do I preserve my baseband and upgrade to 4.3.1?

From what I've read there's not a jailbreak for 4.3.1 yet, right?

Use pwnage tool for mac or snowbreeze for windows to preserve baseband.

No 4.3.1 untethered jailbreak yet but should be along soon...

Think I might have totally screwed my phone. I decided to chuck in the towel with the jailbreak and just go legitimate. I backed up my phone, put it into DFU mode and went to restore and upgrade it (to 4.3.1). All seemed to be going well, but at the end of the restore process I got an error (1013).

I've now tried all manner of things - upgrading to an old version of legitimate 4.1 using Tiny Umbrella's server, trying it in normal recovery mode ... nothing. Different errors, but I can't restore it at all now.

Any ideas on how to get my phone back?

If you've edited the hosts file you will need to remove the line you added to restore to 4.3.1....

Yup, had just come across that solution (and got it to work) when your post came in. Thanks so much.