What's new

TetherMe being detected by Verizon? & outside the USA ?

Unleashed said:
You should check with your carrier or read the FAQ because some will say if you do use tetherME then they will cancel your account.

No offense or anything but that kinda sounds like a horrible idea to ask your carrier about tethering tweaks. Just sayin. They might start paying extra close attention to ya should you ask about. If that what ya even meant.lol

No offense or anything but that kinda sounds like a horrible idea to ask your carrier about tethering tweaks. Just sayin. They might start paying extra close attention to ya should you ask about. If that what ya even meant.lol

Yeah maybe, thats why you look in the FAQ and hopefully there will be something there so you dont even ask them.

Unleashed said:
Yeah maybe, thats why you look in the FAQ and hopefully there will be something there so you dont even ask them.

Yeah, that makes sense.lol.

But also if the carrier does not want you to then its probably better not to do it any way. is it really worth having your account cancelled just to use a really slow 3G connection?

My carrier allows it but I also have a tether plan but its so easy to use up a lot of data and very quickly. For me its come in handy because my isp is down atm and could be this way until friday so tethering and 3G has helped me stay online even if i did get a 60mbit to 4mbit drop and cant download anything with out it failing half way through.

i will most likely go months without using tethering- but it'd be nice to have that option if I'm really stuck without wifi. like i said up thread, it will be a rare thing, when I travel kinda thing, not a everyday occurrence.

eta; & if it looks as tho I'll use it a lot then I get a month of service.

Last edited:
I use Tetherme and got busted by ATT. Lost my grandfathered unlimited data plan. For $20 more per month they set me up witih 4 gig and a tether plan.
$10 for each gig over four per month. The only problem is, for the past couple of days, the Tethering function, either the onboard one with the IOS, or Tetherme, does not work. It's turned on but I never get the flashing blue bar and my laptop doesn't detect it. I'm having to use MyWi 5.0 for tethering. It works wirelessly.

MyWi is the app that is detectable, TetherMe is undetectable. There have been no reported cases from anyone who has used *only* TetherMe to tether. If you were detected and forced onto a tethering plan you must have used MyWi at some point in time before using TetherMe.

I currently have unlimited Verizon acct & really don't want to mess that up
I use very little data (don't have netflix, etc), like a gb a month nor do I expect to use much more on my thrive.

has anyone gotten caught & downgraded using TetherMe? if so were they caught due to a spike in data usage?

second question; if i jb my 4 can i use it in asia? if so how- I am clueless on how to use phones out side the US. or point me to the correct spot

thx in advance

This may be late already, but it is not possible to use a verizon-issued iPhone in asia. The reason is this. verizon iPhones (without sim cards) use the CDMA network while phones in asia typically use the GSM network - phones over there uses sim cards for the GSM network. ATT provides iPhones that has "sim cards" so that it can be used overseas. In order for ATT's iPhones to be used in Asia, you just have to purchase an inexpensive "sim card" from the local cellular provider of the asian country that you will visit, pop-out the U.S. ATT sim card, and insert the asian sim card into your iPhone and you're in business. BUT verizon iPhone's can't do this since they do not have SIM cards which means they cannot use the GSM networks overseas, only CDMA network.

i'm suer you figured this out already since this reply is already a few months late :)

I'm an Unlimited Verizon user who uses TetherMe every day. I currently tether about 20GB/month on average and have not received so much as a warning from Verizon.

I know this is an old post, but what is Verizon doing with their data plans now. I keep seeing articles on yahoo news but is anything confirmed?

I know this is an old post, but what is Verizon doing with their data plans now. I keep seeing articles on yahoo news but is anything confirmed?

They are switching to shared data plans and anyone who is grandfathered in to their unlimited plans will be forced to switch to a tiered data plan if they upgrade to an LTE plan.

They are switching to shared data plans and anyone who is grandfathered in to their unlimited plans will be forced to switch to a tiered data plan if they upgrade to an LTE plan.

So basically if u upgrade phones your screwed.

I was on the phone with a Verizon rep today. He said the only way to keep unlimited data and it be 4G is to get a 4G phone before they change their plans. Even if you buy a phone at full retail that is 4G after the plan change you will lose the unlimited data.

DRad2003 said:
I was on the phone with a Verizon rep today. He said the only way to keep unlimited data and it be 4G is to get a 4G phone before they change their plans. Even if you buy a phone at full retail that is 4G after the plan change you will lose the unlimited data.

That rep was incorrect for two reasons.

1) Your contract states that they can't.
2) Verizon's corporate office stated they won't.

That rep is "uninformed". You can keep your unlimited with an LTE upgrade IF and only IF you buy the new iPhone 5 at full retail price $550-$750 - in that range.