What's new

TetherMe being detected by Verizon? & outside the USA ?

alyssa

Reaction score
I currently have unlimited Verizon acct & really don't want to mess that up
I use very little data (don't have netflix, etc), like a gb a month nor do I expect to use much more on my thrive.

has anyone gotten caught & downgraded using TetherMe? if so were they caught due to a spike in data usage?

second question; if i jb my 4 can i use it in asia? if so how- I am clueless on how to use phones out side the US. or point me to the correct spot

thx in advance

That is a question I'd like to know in general...other than usage spikes, how are tweaks like tether me and mywi detected?

Verizon can remotely check your software to some extent, though I'm not sure if they can get down to the app level. They did it to me on my Droid Incredible when I called about a device problem once a year and a half ago. The rep said, "well, I see you're running the latest device software so..." Didn't stop me from rooting a few months later, but it's always stuck in my mind.

Tether has been updated to 2.3-9. Works fine now, and phone does not automatically disable it.

ThetherMe seems to be the software that has the least probability of being detected, I'm just wondering if Verizon (or any other carrier) has looked at data usage & downgraded an account based on that. Or if Verizon had detected TetherMe.

alyssa said:
ThetherMe seems to be the software that has the least probability of being detected, I'm just wondering if Verizon (or any other carrier) has looked at data usage & downgraded an account based on that. Or if Verizon had detected TetherMe.

There is probably a certain daemon from Verizon that detects usage of the tethering daemons......maybe. Idk. Seems like any other way would be too invasive. Just sayin'. I had the same problem til I upgraded TetherMe. Have used it maybe 45 times and have not been kicked.

When I did I could only use it like once, then it would just disable and say "Setup Personal Hotspot".

I have no problem upgrading TetherMe -- and/or paying money for it. I just won't use the tethered Thrive enough to warrant an extra $20/m.

so...no ones heard of Verizon detecting & downgrading TetherMe people?

alyssa said:
I have no problem upgrading TetherMe -- and/or paying money for it. I just won't use the tethered Thrive enough to warrant an extra $20/m.

so...no ones heard of Verizon detecting & downgrading TetherMe people?

Could simply be a new function is ios 5. And have nothing to do with the carrier also.

Wished I could rid of that glowing blue tether bar during a tetherme session. Sucks battery big time

Wished I could rid of that glowing blue tether bar during a tetherme session. Sucks battery big time

It's not the bar that sucks the battery(that's just a color change) it's the actual act of tethering that sucks the battery since you are constantly accessing the 3G data network.

good point, i'll need battery packs too<grin>

HTML:
It's not the bar that sucks the battery(that's just a color change) it's the actual act of tethering that sucks the battery since you are constantly accessing the 3G data network.

The blue bar does actually drain more battery, as it's a continually running process, taking up more resources than no bar at all. Granted, it's not much more drain, but if you're in a car driving somewhere with no access to a charger, every few % of battery you can save is cherished lol

You should check with your carrier or read the FAQ because some will say if you do use tetherME then they will cancel your account.