What's new

System Partition 15% Free on Iphone 4s with Absinthe 2.0.4 Question

iphonefr33k

Reaction score
I have very few Cydia tweaks/apps, yet I only have 15% free system partition out of 1.6Gb.

Is this about what it should be? How much free partition space is there right after the jailbreak before adding tweaks?

I already cleared all caches and tmp space.

Is there a way to increase the size of the partition into the private user memory area. I have the 64Gb iphone 4s and surely I could have made a larger system partition at the time if I would have known back then.

I have a complete backup of everything with different methods used so should i start from scratch? If so can you point me to a tutorial on how to do a custom jailbreak with a larger system partition.

I guess I could let it go as long as that 15% will not get any smaller?

You can resize the root partition with a Sn0wbreeze custom firmware, the default root partition is usually all you need tho, there aren't many tweaks or apps that install large files to the root partition.

I am curious can you go to cydia click on manage then storage and tell me what you have free on yours and what is the total size cydia/absinthe made on your system partition.

I rather stick with Absinthe than sn0wbreeze unless I do not have to completely restore using the Sn0wbreeze custom? Would it be an entire different procedure over absinthe jailbreak?

Edited:

Can I take what I have on my phone now and create extract the jailbroken firmware from that with all the apps/tweaks then use Sn0wbreeze to create the custom firmware from the extracted firmware from my phone? Then go from there as far as restoring that firmware and then changing the size of the system partition just before the restore?

So I am guessing this is not like linux or unix where we can resize the partition SSH from a Mac or PC into the iphone then resize?

Last edited:
Here's a screenshot from mine

0e04cb93.jpg

Well then maybe 14.9% is really not a lot to complain about. I read that sysclean Pro may actually give more space? Not sure how but that what I read.

Well then maybe 14.9% is really not a lot to complain about. I read that sysclean Pro may actually give more space? Not sure how but that what I read.

What are you worried about? Is your phone running slow or something?

Yes it was until I ran Sysclean Pro and it increased from 15% to 40% free in the System Partition. I am just curious if I can actually just symlink the entire /System folder in the /dev/disk0s1 to /var /dev/disk0s2. That would be the user flash ram 64 Gb section or not?

I read something about Sandbox level of security may cause this to fail. I don't see how it could fail unless during the boot darwin kernel phase it needs to see the /System folder in /dev/disk01s even with a Symlink I suppose it has to still be in there physically?

I think the only one that can really answer this is the crew from the Chronic Dev Team since they are the ones who developed the Absibthe JB.

You know for a fact they have tried all scenarios until they figured out what works best.

Here is a link I found after a google search. Looks like most people comments had problems doing it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7674725_increase-size-root-partition-iphone.html

Last edited:
It's odd that your phone was running slow. I have 16% free and i don't notice it running any different than my wife's stock 4s....

Its not running slow but now when I download and install an app, there is a latency before the springboard is back to normal about 15 to 30 seconds. Maybe because I have a lot of apps installed and nothing to do with the System Partition at all?