What's new

itunes backup after Absinthe 2.0.4 Jailbreak for Iphone 4S IOS 5.1.1 Question

iphonefr33k

Reaction score
I am very confused about how all this works after a jailbreak. Once I have most of my tweaks and apps in place will itunes backup everything?

By everything I mean the Apple Store Paid apps, Apple store Free apps, Cydia Free and Paid apps, and the entire unix/deb tree structure and everything else?

In other words if I were to unjailbreak completely restore by using the IOS 5.1.1 ISPW file, then jailbreak again and run all the steps right after the jailbreak then restore from that backup I created in itunes will I be back the exact point I was before unjailbreaking my phone and if not what will be missing?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
No, similiar question had been asked before...iTunes only backs up the (built-in-apps-info, free apps from app store, paid apps from appstore), so if you want to back up your Cydia you have to save your SHSH Blobs as i think, google it :)

No more mentions of installous in this thread. Piracy is against our forums rules.

Piracy rule

16. Discussion of pirated or cracked applications and any methods associated with enabling their use, such as posting app or repository names, is forbidden on this forum. This also includes discussion of illegally obtaining media such as music, movies, games, or other copyrighted content.

Sorry about mentioning the one program not allowed to talk about here. I should not have asked about that and only the apps from the apple store and cydia both free and paid for. There is no one simple solution I suppose? I have read that PKGBackup or APTbackup is one way? Won't my cyda paid and free apps transfer to itunes if I right click on device and transfer purchases?

Let me ask this If I see all of the apps in itunes after I right click and transfer purchases will I be able to restore what apps I see in itunes then?

Thanks

darkstar2007 said:
No more mentions of installous in this thread. Piracy is against our forums rules.

Piracy rule

16. Discussion of pirated or cracked applications and any methods associated with enabling their use, such as posting app or repository names, is forbidden on this forum. This also includes discussion of illegally obtaining media such as music, movies, games, or other copyrighted content.

Sorry but just were was the mention of [a piracy tweak]?? All i seen was him asking abought his cydia paid PAID apps and what not! And NO itunes will NOT save that stuff. Google it and you will find what you need.

[Moderator edit: The mention of the piracy tweak was edited out of the member's post by Super Moderator darkstar2007, just as I have edited out your post. You can tell a post is edited by seeing the "last edited by..." line at the bottom of the post. ]

iphonefr33k said:
Sorry about mentioning the one program not allowed to talk about here. I should not have asked about that and only the apps from the apple store and cydia both free and paid for. There is no one simple solution I suppose? I have read that PKGBackup or APTbackup is one way? Won't my cyda paid and free apps transfer to itunes if I right click on device and transfer purchases?

Let me ask this If I see all of the apps in itunes after I right click and transfer purchases will I be able to restore what apps I see in itunes then?

Thanks

No Itunes WILL NOT SAVE CYDIA apps

Then PKGbackup is what I will use for that. I think just mentioning the unix/deb tree was enough to spark concern. I should have posted my question as more generic rather than the specifics.

I do see that itunes does not show for example SBsettings, springboard etc so I have to assume it will not backup those tweaks as well as other apps from cydia.

iPhonemodder1 said:
Sorry but just were was the mention of [a piracy tweak]?? All i seen was him asking abought his cydia paid PAID apps and what not! And NO itunes will NOT save that stuff. Google it and you will find what you need.

[Moderator edit: The mention of the piracy tweak was edited out of the member's post by Super Moderator darkstar2007, just as I have edited out your post. You can tell a post is edited by seeing the "last edited by..." line at the bottom of the post. ]

Ok i am sorry. And that dont show up on the app on my iphone. That must be why i didnt know.

Dark Dragon said:
No, similiar question had been asked before...iTunes only backs up the (built-in-apps-info, free apps from app store, paid apps from appstore), so if you want to back up your Cydia you have to save your SHSH Blobs as i think, google it :)

iTunes backs up more than that.

iTunes backup a lot from the file system. Even certain jailbreak data.

That is why I never restore from a backup. You should never restore from a backup that was takin from the device while it was jailbroken after it was jailbroken with Absinthe. You are bound to have problems if you do so.

I am very confused about how all this works after a jailbreak. Once I have most of my tweaks and apps in place will itunes backup everything?

By everything I mean the Apple Store Paid apps, Apple store Free apps, Cydia Free and Paid apps, and the entire unix/deb tree structure and everything else?

In other words if I were to unjailbreak completely restore by using the IOS 5.1.1 ISPW file, then jailbreak again and run all the steps right after the jailbreak then restore from that backup I created in itunes will I be back the exact point I was before unjailbreaking my phone and if not what will be missing?

Thanks
iTunes will backup everything in your iPhone, including of course your jailbreak apps tweaks. The difference is that iTunes do not backup your cydia apps/tweaks icons, but instead it backup your cydia apps/tweaks system files preferences files etc. So after you have factory reset your iPhone and restore into your iPhone your backup, all your apps store applications will be loaded into your iPhone except for your cydia applications and tweaks, however, once you jailbreak again and install those cydia apps/tweak you will notice that it will automatically set to your preference setting the way it was then you performed the backup. Say you have grid lock tweak installed into your iPhone and on home page screen 1 you placed 4 icons only then on page 2 you place 2 icons only, after you do the restore of the iOS everything will be set to factory default like it should be, then you jailbreak your iPhone and install grid lock, automatically after respringing the iPhone you will see that on the home screen 1 you have 4 applications icons just like it was prior the backup. Same for other cydia apps/tweaks. The down side here is that you will have to redownload every cydia apps/tweaks by your own again but will not have to go through each cydia apps/tweaks settings again to set them up the way you want.

I see, so what order would I do this? Let say I want to unjailbreak it. In the meantime I have a restore point that I would like to restore to.

1) Unjailbreak
2) Restore which was a backup of everything after the jailbreak
3) I made a PKGBackup backup so after the itunes restore then restore with PKGBackup?

ZIg9449 not sure how I would handle that if I cannot trust my jailbroke backup? WHat would the purpose be of doing any itunes backup after the jailbreak then? Maybe I misunderstood your point. DOes it have something to do with getting the free and paid apps from both the apple store and cydia mix that were backup'd that could cause some issue down the line maybe?

EDITED:

I bought the iphone 4s just a couple of weeks ago iOS v5.1.1. Maybe added two free apps and that was it. I then jailbroke it with absinthe 2.0.4. SInce then I have been installing several tweaks and apps and duing daily backups with PKGBackup and Itunes.

I will not be able to get back to the same point I was on my very last backup? The system will run unstable if i restore a itunes jailbroke backup?

Last edited:
Do you wish your iTunes backup files to hold cydia informations? if yes then you make a backup in iTunes after you have jailbreaked and install all tweaks/apps you want from cydia. Let's say that iTunes backup file is called "iTunesCydia backup file"
You factory restore the iOS to unjailbreak it, then restore back your "iTunesCydia backup file"
Use PKGBackup to restore your Cydia apps/tweaks.
After PKGBackup finish downloading and installing everything and respiring, you will notice that your cydia apps/tweaks settings are back to the way you set them up prior the "iTnuesCydia backup" and the factory reset.
Now having such an "iTunesCydia backup file" only can become annoying when there is file error or corrupted files within the system by the time you were performing the iTunes "iTunesCydia backup" In such a case where you do no have a proper iTunes backup file (one you made when your device wasn't jailbreaked yet) you will be forced to start everything from scratch.

I see what you mean now. Well since I am doing itune backups every other day that coincide with PKGBackup's I should have a copy that works before the corruption I suppose.

It comes down to the point where if I have to just do a ISPW restore for example them install the jailbreak, then as long as I have a list of free and paid apps I should be able to get them back worse case scenario since they are paid for and install them all back manually.

Just a pain in the arse to do this all manually if there is some corruption along the trail of those file backups.

I could also copy the Unix tree or the /private/var /Library and /System folders as well. I was successful in doing so with Iexplorer. On the other hand i-funbox bombs out on large transfers I think associated with the file executables attributes or some other cause I cannot pinpoint. Iexplorer makes a clone almost like cp -rf or resync commands.

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited: