What's new

iOS 5.0.1 Jailbreak and iTunes backups

labec

Reaction score
Hey! I am really considering jailbreaking my phone (iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1) but I have a few questions.

First, if I jailbreak the phone will I be able to restore all of my apps, contacts, notes etc. from an iTunes backup? Ive been searching and can't seem to find a definite answer on this.

Secondly I'm wondering if its needed to restore the phone to factory before using redsn0w to jailbreak? Will redsn0w do a factory restore or I am supposed to do that?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi labec... welcome to iPF.net! First question... yes, all your apps, contacts, notes, etc. will still be available via iTunes backup after the Jailbreak. As well, you're iPhone is still fully integrateable with iTunes after your Jailbreak and will still create a backup of all non-Jailbreak info when connected. Second question... while it's not necessary to restore your iDevice before a Jailbreak, most Devs and Jailbreakers alike recommend that you perform a fresh restore before Jailbreaking. Also, the restore will need to be performed via iTunes... as redsn0w is simply the Jailbreak tool.

Thanks for the reply! That's information is exactly what I needed to hear, now I can't wait to get off work and jailbreak this thing!

No I have actually run into some problems using redsn0w 0.9.10b5c. Seems it gets to loading the first part of the jailbreak (the step directly after it detects the phone in DFU) and says it has an "Unexpected Error". I have no idea what to do at this point.

Any help would be great!!!!

Have you tried deleting the redsn0w download?
If not then delete it and download again. Make sure when you open the download you use this with admin rights. If it's still not working repost.

Sent from my  IPhone 4 ver 5.01 set free using Redsn0w using Tapatalk.

So I ended up re-downloading redsn0w onto my laptop. Worked first try.....so maybe its a problem with the newest version of redsn0w and windows XP (Desktop PC I tried on originally) Thanks though!

Good deal... glad you got it going either way!! If you have any more questions just hit us up. :)

labec said:
So I ended up re-downloading redsn0w onto my laptop. Worked first try.....so maybe its a problem with the newest version of redsn0w and windows XP (Desktop PC I tried on originally) Thanks though!

Actually it's not a problem with either. Just happens sometimes, with "all" jailbreak tools, on "all" operating systems. .........weird....I know.

Whenever you download a tool like iFaith, redsn0w, Sn0wbreeze, or iREB, and they simply do not work, one of these solutions will fix it.....every time:

Delete, and redownload the tool

Redownload the tool from a different browser

Redownload the tool on your guest account on your computer. If you don't have one.....make one.

Those 3 things are basically the main fixes for iPhone tools that don't want to work.