What's new

Need help accessing root file system of iPhone 5 to do file recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

car975

Reaction score
I tried jailbreaking my iphone 5 with evasion and I got the apple logo stuck. That left me no option but to do a restore. The problem is my last backup is from September and I lost a bunch of pictures that I took sonce then.

As I understand it, when a restore is done the file system is destroyed but the underlying flash NAND memory remains intact. I would like to access the root file system so I can perform a recovery. I have done this before with computers and flash drives but I have no idea how to get into the iphone's "hard drive."

If anyone could send me detailed instructions that are understandable I think I can do it. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried jailbreaking my iphone 5 with evasion and I got the apple logo stuck. That left me no option but to do a restore. The problem is my last backup is from September and I lost a bunch of pictures that I took sonce then. As I understand it, when a restore is done the file system is destroyed but the underlying flash NAND memory remains intact. I would like to access the root file system so I can perform a recovery. I have done this before with computers and flash drives but I have no idea how to get into the iphone's "hard drive." If anyone could send me detailed instructions that are understandable I think I can do it. Thanks in advance for your help!!
I'm afraid that any data on your iPhone that was deleted by the restore and not backed up elsewhere is gone forever. A full restore wipes the iPhone beyond any hope of recovering any data that was stored on it.

Last edited:
Not possible on anything above the iPhone 4 and iPad 1. Without LimeRa1n, you can't perform a dump of the device while in Recovery/DFU

Get to your iTunes and iCloud to check that if you do backup or not. Sometimes you can get some data from iCloud if you set it on. But if you don't know how to recover iphone data, some apps will be a easy way for you to scan your iPhone to recover lost data from iPhone.
It can work and you should have a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.