What's new

SHSH Blobs - Frequently Asked Questions

So i have never manually saved a blob with tiny umbrella or anything. I JAILBROKE through snowbreeze and I have that file saved on my pc. When I log into cydia at the top of the page it does say SHSH iOS5.1, so I take it I'm good to go and don't need to do anything else? I would be able to restore JAILBROKE to 5.1 if my phone was restored and a new iOS was out?

InkedAdrenaline said:
So i have never manually saved a blob with tiny umbrella or anything. I JAILBROKE through snowbreeze and I have that file saved on my pc. When I log into cydia at the top of the page it does say SHSH iOS5.1, so I take it I'm good to go and don't need to do anything else? I would be able to restore JAILBROKE to 5.1 if my phone was restored and a new iOS was out?

As long as you save SHSH...you an restore to that firmware. Always. So yes.

Real quick question. Do I need to worry about Blobs if I never plan on downgrading my iOS version? That's the way it seems but I'm not 100% sure. I do plan on jailbreaking but I don't think I'll need to revert to an older iOS version.

You should always save your Blobs because if you ever need to restore your phone. Let say something happen and you want to restore the phone but apple release a new iOS version that is not JB yet, then you need to have blobs to be JB on the previous iOS

Hello I am beginner stage iPhone programer so want to learn more about iPhone Programing. I came across a site named edumobile.org it is paid site for learning iPhone Programing online but want some review about this site, is it good site to learn from??

irvinhends3003 said:
Hello I am beginner stage iPhone programer so want to learn more about iPhone Programing. I came across a site named edumobile.org it is paid site for learning iPhone Programing online but want some review about this site, is it good site to learn from??

Never heard of it. But then again, I have never looked for Objective-C programming sites either.

I thought the iOS SDK package from Apple is what people bought to learn about iOS coding.

How do I know if this blob is for the Iphone 4s or the iphone 4? I had both on this mac and it pulled one blob using tinyunbrella. Its has a 4,1 is that 4s or just 4?

I don't see a separate APTicket generated? If it where generated by any luck would that be part of the blob file? Any way to examine the blob file with a hex Editor or IDA Pro dissasembler to see if it has all the necessary components needed to restore the 5.1.1 which is current on my Iphone 4s and absynthe jailbroken.

I have so many backups on at least 4 Mac's with Itunes and I even did a complete tree backup with iexplorer onto mac.

WOuld the blobs be in there somewhere cached?

Thanks

EDITED A LITTLE WHILE LATER:

After reading over the first post a bit more carefully I installed iSHSHit. I ticked cydia in the settings and it found my shsh blob and it is the same one that is on my mac I referred to.

4065724399052-iphone4,1-5.1.1.shsh

So my question now is will this be all I need to restore 5.1.1 in the future or is there still the issue with APTicket or not? WOuld I use redsn0w latest version to get around the APTicket for Iphone 4s with my current saved blob?

EDITED FOR THE LAST TIME:

Well I believe I have a legitimate Blob and APTicket verified with the latest version of redns0w.

I even went as far as sticking the block to the apple stock 5.1.1 IPSW

Will this ensure me any future successful restore using this stitched file?

Last edited:
You've got the blobs you need, but there is no mechanism to restore 5.1.1 yet. So you have done all you can do for the time being. Just have patience.

Thanks,

I did some more reading and realize now that the restore feature is not ready for A5/A6. I called Apple today and made the biggest stink. I have some of my colleagues that have their 4s with 5.1.1 non JB and wanted to know why they would be forced to restore 6.0 in a situation if needed. They have developed some applications that will require them to run 5.1.1 for a while but in the event of a catastrophic failure they need to know that they can restore to 5.1.1 .

Apple aren't likely to change their policy I'm afraid :(
It's been like that for years.

i cant restore my iphone 4 to 5.1.1 with the custom ipsw from redsnow
iget 3194-3094 error
even if i change the etc file i get 16xx error
i even used ireb r5
---
then i used snowbreeze for it
but after restoring the cydia wont work
and sometimes it get stuck at apple logo

do u have to have cydia to save shsh? or can u do o/w cydia?.

You don't need Cydia to save SHSH. You can save SHSH on non-jailbroken devices using TinyUmbrella, RedSn0w, and other such applications to do it. But the only ones that you can save are the ones that are currently being signed. You can, however, upload them TO Cydia after you've saved them for safe keeping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having problems with my jailbroken & unlocked iphone 4 which is stuck in a reboot loop after dowloading the latest upgrade. I have tried downloading the firmware but when itunes says its preparing to restore the phone, I get an error 3148. I've been told by one of your moderators that its my SHSH blobs but I never knew anything about them until now so as far as I know they were never saved and since I cant use my phone AT ALL I cant get into Cydia to see if they are saved in there. How do I find out what SHSH blobs I have?

Just hit restore in iTunes, you do not need SHSH to restore the most up to date firmware. You only need SHSH for firmware that Apple is no longer signing.