What's new

screwed over by verizon/asurion...

jefd

Reaction score
hi there. I'm a new member to this forum, and im looking forward to getting some feedback if you don't mind! I have had an iphone 4 from verizon for about 6 or so months. i recently left it somewhere overnight and it is not where i left it. i live in san francisco and sometimes the places i've been to are not necessarily the best of areas in the city. i go to school at the university which is pretty nice, but in the district near inner richmond, where my school is located, lies richmond and outer richmond where many of my friends live. here is my problem. after searching frantically for 2 or 3 days for my iphone, hanging by a thread of hope, i went to the police station. i asked him what i could do now, and if i couldn't file a police report. He told me the only way to do that was if i had the ESN number, and of course i didnt have it on me. discouraged, i gave him my response and told him that if i ever found out, i would be sure to go back to him specifically to let him have it. its had been about 3 days now since i had lost my phone. i assume now it has been stolen, so i call verizon to see what i could do. they told me they would deactivate it, and to check with the Asurion insurance, i had invested appx. $80 in over the past 6 months. i called asurion. they told me there was no way of finding my iphone, so i gave up and bought in to a new one. i now have an iphone on the way for me. i paid $170 for this new phone. i feel gipped. anyhow, after all this happens, i'm writing to the forum now, because i have been doing some research as to prevent this from happening once again. I have found my apple iphone SN on the website, which i am registered via email on my phone for itunes, and on my computer for itunes and my computer. is there any way that i can track my old/stolen iphone now that i have the SN (is this going to be the same as my ESN?)?? if possible, i'd like to intercept the delivery from asurion and have them take the new iphone back and give me my darned money back for the replacement.... at this point you've probably been reading for a solid 3 or 4 minutes now, so thank you! and any help would be appreciated :)
-Jed

Did you ever setup mobile me in the phone?

negatory. i think i tried to set it up, so i have a mobileme account on my computer and i have it registered to "MiPhone 4" (i know, clever)... but i don't think i ever installed it on my iPhone and never realized i needed to, until it was too late.....

thanks for the quick reply!,
-Jed

Look into other insurance options.

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

Look into other insurance options.

FreeBird: i am looking into other insurance options. it's a little late for that now though, eh? my question was whether or not i could NOW locate my stolen iPhone with my apple account ID which granted me my registered iPhone's serial number.

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

^clever, but i don't remember looking for the droid. all that windows op crap makes me tired and impatient waiting on the phone for some overseas shmuck to tell me the same thing :D now i don't know much about droid, and i wouldn't say i'm an expert because i've rarely been exposed to other smartphones, but i'd rather rest assured that my product is in the hands of an increasingly reliable product/company rather than one that was having copyright and IP infringement problems in it's early stages of development :D

not trying to start useless banter, just replying to your post!

thanks,
Jed

lol... I know you are new here and all, but that droid thing was his signature and wasnt directed towards you. So you are randomly responding to something that has nothing to do with your topic at hand.

How can you possibly feel jipped by Asureon? You dont bother to ask what it is you are signging up for and how much the deductables are? Did you honestly think that they were just going to say "oh, ok, so you paid us $80 already so we just take that from the cost of the replacement phone, so you owe us... $90 now"??? And you go to college?!

lol... I know you are new here and all, but that droid thing was his signature and wasnt directed towards you. So you are randomly responding to something that has nothing to do with your topic at hand.

How can you possibly feel jipped by Asureon? You dont bother to ask what it is you are signging up for and how much the deductables are? Did you honestly think that they were just going to say "oh, ok, so you paid us $80 already so we just take that from the cost of the replacement phone, so you owe us... $90 now"??? And you go to college?!

i guess i never really did the math on how much i'd be paying... and you're correct! I am in college! but the moral of the story is that my phone was stolen. people suck, can't trust anyone. and the problem with asurion is that it was offered to me by verizon when they told me "would you like to add FULL(/premium/total/other ambiguous *moderated* name) coverage to your monthly phone bill? and yes. i did agree. to pay x amt a month to ensure that if anything on my phone screwed up, be it internally or cosmetically, they would replace it. what i failed to realize was that they would charge me another 170$ to get a new replacement. In my previous experience, when i had a different phone (blackberry bold), and had damaged it beyond belief, i had asked verizon what they could do. they told me they'd replace it, just once, and i was only charged $50, still a pretty substantial amount of money, but not as much as $170. I guess in the back of my mind, i was hoping that asurion would have the decency to grant me a one-time exception, as did verizon... i'm paying more money to asurion and invested it in a policy that offered me a replacement, but a replacement that is much more than i can personally afford...

In regards to the post about the "signature." i apologize. i didn't know it was a signature!... but isnt this supposed to be a forum about iphone 4's?

p.s.
still looking for someone who is experienced enough with verizon iphone 4's to help me out with finding my stolen phone now that i have the stolen iPhone's REGISTERED SN...
p.p.s.
I do go to college, just don't have enough money to afford paying so much for premiums and high-end deductibles. :p in hind-sight i should've looked in to other insurance options instead of buying in to the verizon-rep prompted gimmick of ""PREMIUM FULL MAXIMUM EXTRA CARE"" policy., but that's beside the point, i was a victim of petty, unnecessary promotion/nicely-worded marketing.

again, thanks for the response, but i'm still looking for an answer! i didn't mean to offend all you loyal asurion-ers out there..

-Jed

Edited for profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
i still dont get how you were screwed over by verizon....

You were just able to get a 600 dollar phone for 170 bucks. To be quite honest you made out on this one.

The 170 dollar deductible is in the agreement that was given to you or the contract owner(parents possibly) when the phone was activated.

I'll be brief and factual.

1) You can't do anything with an iPhone serial number.
2) You can only get the ESN blacklisted on the VZW network.
3) You will never see that iPhone again unless it is by dumb luck.
4) You should be GRATEFUL you paid for the premium insurance. Since buying a iPhone thru VZW off contract is $650.
5) You came out ahead in a bad situation.

And college is all about learning. You just learned several very valuable lessons and you only spent $170 to correct the situation. This is probably one of the cheapest life lessons you will ever learn.

I'll be brief and factual.

1) You can't do anything with an iPhone serial number.
2) You can only get the ESN blacklisted on the VZW network.
3) You will never see that iPhone again unless it is by dumb luck.
4) You should be GRATEFUL you paid for the premium insurance. Since buying a iPhone thru VZW off contract is $650.
5) You came out ahead in a bad situation.

And college is all about learning. You just learned several very valuable lessons and you only spent $170 to correct the situation. This is probably one of the cheapest life lessons you will ever learn.

ah! thank you! a useful answer!!! Again, i wasnt trying to start any useless argument, i just wanted to see if anyone out there knew any way around this or if i could find my phone via verizon/police now that i had the ESN... I've got the phone now. Of course i could afford to buy the replacement. i'm not being spoiled or ungrateful, i just wish i had looked in to a few more options for insurance thats all... didn't mean to bash or be bashed by anyone. Thanks for your time and input Skull One
-Jed

Just an FYI, I was on "My Verizon" and found the MEID number to my iP4 on one of the reciepts in "view account documents".

Not that that helps you get your phone back but just another source for getting the number.

It should be on the box your iPhone came in as well...it's on a large white sticker.