What's new

verizon/asurion insurance policies suck.

jefd

Reaction score
hi! i'm new to this forum... my names Jed and im from San Francisco, CA attending the university here. the reason for the hasty/possibly offensive title in this post is because i recently had my iphone stolen from me and had to pay up the butt for a replacement on my insurance policy which i had so graciously paid an extra 7.99 a month for! so i'm very interested in technology, and like to keep up to date with new products, software, hardware etc. and that's about it!
oh and just for clarification...
love the iPhone,
Just not verizon/their loyal insurance provider

Since you decided to post this rant twice, let me enlighten you concerning insurance so that you understand what's in store for you as you become an adult in this world.

There are several types of insurance policies. The top 3 are:

1) Zero deductible.
2) $X deductible.
3) Supplemental.

At your age you will mostly being dealing with the first two types. At present you should be carrying the following insurances because you are in college and you are on a fixed income.

Car insurance with a deductible.
Renters insurance with a deductible.
Health insurance with a deductible.

And since you have chosen to buy high end cellular devices....

Phone insurance with a deductible.

Simply put you can't afford to pay for Zero Deductible insurance. You don't have the budget for it. And to be blunt, I doubt you are paying the premiums for the first three insurances I listed.

This is how insurance works. And in your case, this policy saved you at least $350. So why are you ranting on something that worked exactly as the policy described that you signed up for?

just wanted to get the word out that other insurance policies may be better... fair warning? sheesh.

I would love to see one that is better than Asurion.

I could have told you that, they are like talking to a brick wall...

Oh, is that so? Just for future reference, mind telling me why Asurion is so great? In my experience, they were late mailing my replacement phone after I paid a significant sum, I had to run around circles just to talk to a tech support person in a call center overseas, and I was forced to deal with extremely unprofessional employees. I mean, you'd think that they would be more professional in their contracts, provided they're as good as you say. Seriously, it was a very unpleasant experience for me. Not to start anything, but I'm just honestly wondering why Asurion is better than Ensquared or whatever? I mean, at least they can compare respective policies for you...
-Jed

Oh, is that so? Just for future reference, mind telling me why Asurion is so great? In my experience, they were late mailing my replacement phone after I paid a significant sum, I had to run around circles just to talk to a tech support person in a call center overseas, and I was forced to deal with extremely unprofessional employees. I mean, you'd think that they would be more professional in their contracts, provided they're as good as you say. Seriously, it was a very unpleasant experience for me. Not to start anything, but I'm just honestly wondering why Asurion is better than Ensquared or whatever? I mean, at least they can compare respective policies for you...
-Jed

You learned another valuable lesson. Insurance companies are in the business to make money. I have always found that the harder it is to get a resolution, the cheaper the insurance premium is and the higher the payout is. And in your case, you experienced just that. So in essence you just validated my question. Asurion made sure you had a valid claim, they made you jump thru all the hoops to prove you had a valid claim and since you didn't walk away, they paid out.

Whether you like the tactic or not is not part of the question. And if you find that you don't like that tactic, find a higher premium insurance company with a lower payout to avoid the issues you stated.

I wanted to let you know about my Asurion experience. I did not call them but did everything on line. I was walking my 5 lb dog and a large boxer came out of a vented garage and, after I realized it was not after me, chased my dog and when I caught up with the person I fell and broke the face of my iPhone. I called verizon first, I do not have a home phone so I needed this phone until my new phone arrived. This all happened on a Saturday, after I called Asurion while I was on hold, they mentioned a web address that would be faster, I hung up and went to that EASY web address and filed my claim. I received my phone on Monday but I needed to handle the repayment from the dog owner. After I got that handled, I wrote Asurance an email asking for a receipt which was sent in about an hour and then I asked for an extension to return the phone because the dog owner wanted to see it. I got a month extension. I am returning the phone today because I met with the dog owner and he wrote me a check. I had NO problem with the service. The person who originally wrote this knows how to operate a computer, why didn't you use the on line option because you think everyone is rude, bypass people and use the computer.