What's new

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is Permanently Discontinued

I went through firefighting school in the Canadian navy and the most spectacular part was the backdraft fireball when the door was opened wide in the burning mock up of ships compartments to demonstrate how not to open a door at a fire scene.
Yep, I remember those days. It sounds like your firefighting training and mine were very similar. That Backdraft fireball you're talking about has to do with the amount of new oxygen available to the fire once you've opened the door, that always amazed me.

I'm actually concerned that this setback for Samsung will allow Apple to relax. While Apple hasn't exactly been "innovative" with the 6, 6s and 7, they have done some incredible refinement to both the hardware and iOS over the last three years. I attribute part of that to Samsung and another part to Android overall. While I don't think I will lose any sleep if Samsung got out of the phone business for a while, I do think it will be a loss overall for consumers.

I'm actually concerned that this setback for Samsung will allow Apple to relax. While Apple hasn't exactly been "innovative" with the 6, 6s and 7, they have done some incredible refinement to both the hardware and iOS over the last three years. I attribute part of that to Samsung and another part to Android overall. While I don't think I will lose any sleep if Samsung got out of the phone business for a while, I do think it will be a loss overall for consumers.
Their other phones, such as the Galaxy S7 don't seem to be affected by problems experienced by the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco, but sales of the entire Samsung lineup could be affected.

If only apple phones weren't backed up for so freaking long, many of them would have swapped.

Hopefully Samsung can come back strong next spring, until that point... Am I dumb for thinking LG has the most to gain here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think LG has plenty to gain. Its phones have never garnered the attention they deserve.

The most? No. Samsung's loss is Apple's gain. Samsung's top models have always been pitched against the iPhone. Even without this fiasco, the clear superiority of the iPhone 7 would have been bad news for the Note.

The courts are about to compound Samsung's misery as Apple's copyright claims are about to be decided. Apple's claim is small beer compared to Samsung's loss of revenue in potential sales, but it will be a propaganda victory that the Korean thief may never recover from.

Android or iOS may if Samsung gets its self out of this mess for a while it will come back strong with an alternative
system. Must we be stuck we only 2 ?
I do know it was originally the battery that caused the main problem here, l was thinking to the future.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

Alternatively, other manufacturers using the Android system may fill the void. Samsung has been infamous for using Apple as an R&D department. Hopefully, a few companies with better ethics might rise to the occasion. I really hope LG take advantage of the present situation. Like @Skull One said, Apple should not be allowed to rest on their laurels. Healthy competition is essential. IMO, Samsung was unhealthy competition with their insistence on stealing innovation and passing it off as their own. I hope we see a strong Android competitor to keep Apple on their toes.

Maybe the future holds another OS? Windows has been a total disaster, but I don't think its too late. Microsoft could throw away the book and start again. Their name will always need to be taken seriously and if they can come up with a phone OS that can rival iOS, who knows where we might be in a few years time?

Alternatively, other manufacturers using the Android system may fill the void. Samsung has been infamous for using Apple as an R&D department. Hopefully, a few companies with better ethics might rise to the occasion. I really hope LG take advantage of the present situation. Like @Skull One said, Apple should not be allowed to rest on their laurels. Healthy competition is essential. IMO, Samsung was unhealthy competition with their insistence on stealing innovation and passing it off as their own. I hope we see a strong Android competitor to keep Apple on their toes.

Maybe the future holds another OS? Windows has been a total disaster, but I don't think its too late. Microsoft could throw away the book and start again. Their name will always need to be taken seriously and if they can come up with a phone OS that can rival iOS, who knows where we might be in a few years time?
I'll have to disagree here. Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing. The only reason, and I mean THE ONLY reason that the world is using Microsoft Windows as much as it is now is because Microsoft engaged in unethical business practices years ago to keep Linux and BSD out of the public's eye. If Microsoft hadn't done that, most of the world would be using *nix on their personal computers right now and Microsoft might have gone the way of the dodo years ago.

I had used *nix as my sole desktop system for 14 years, and after learning as much as I have, Microsoft Windows is a child's toy in comparison. *nix operating systems are far more stable and secure than Microsoft Windows has ever been.

Last edited:
Microsoft are running some ads here in the UK, I think about ten so far where they point out what Windows can do and saying "Mac cant do that".
I find them really annoying but more than that could they be damaging to Apple and Mac?

Microsoft are running some ads here in the UK, I think about ten so far where they point out what Windows can do and saying "Mac cant do that".
I find them really annoying but more than that could they be damaging to Apple and Mac?
I think Microsoft could be trying to emulate the success of the Mac vs PC ads that Apple used to run.