What's new

Restore without updating

BatEars

Reaction score
I guys I have been trying to use spire on my iPhone 4 5.0.1 and I'm having trouble because it stopping my safari from working. I was told by Jmills87 to restore but if I do restore it will update to 5.1
So I tried installing RecoveryGuard which fools iTunes into thinking whatever software you're on (now 5.0.1) as being the latest update. But after installing RecoveryGuard, I tried to restore and iTunes displayed a message saying
"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone "My iPhone". The requested resource was not found.

And help or tips would be much appreciated.

hey BatEars

recoveryguard stops itunes from being able to update + to enable updating you'd have to remove recovery guard but it would just update to 5.1. you need to create a custom ispw for 5.0.1 that has the shsh blobs attached to it and then, put your phone into pwned dfu mode using something like redsn0w and finally shift click restore in itunes and select your custom ispw and select restore. iyl right a tutorial reply after this message

Last edited:
Note, this tutorial will not work with apple A5 devices Iphone 4s and Ipad 2, and if you have upgraded your A5 devcice Iphone 4s or Ipad 2 to ios 5.1 it is irreversible, and there is no way to restore A5 devices without updating to the latest ios. It will work with apple A4 devices iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 1 and the ipod touch.

1) First of all you need the shsh blob for 5.0.1 (shsh blobs are what apple sign there ios ispw's with to veryfy them and itunes usally contacts apple to gather these and veryify your install but once a new ios is released apple stop signing the previous ios versions and so when itunes contacts apple it cannot find them so it does not allow you to install, so what you need to do is create an ispw that already has the shsh blob attached to it so itunes doesn't need to contact apple.

2) to get your shsh blobs follow this members tutorial and you should see a blob for 5.0.1

3) Download the official apple 5.0.1 ispw for your phone type from here and remember where you saved it.

4) Now download redsn0w from here for mac and from here for windows

5) Now open redsn0w and go to extra>shsh blobs>stich and this is where you will create your ispw with the shsh blobs attached to it. Click "ispw" and select the 5.0.1 ispw you downloaded earlier and then click "local" and select the 5.0.1 shsh blob you found with tiny umberrala earlier, if you don't know where your shsh blobs folder is open tinyumberrella and click advanced and it tells you what directory your shsh blobs are saved to. And then let it do its thing and once its finished it will tell you your ispw was created and puts it in the same folder as the original ispw with a bunch of numbers before it.

6) Now you need to get your iphone into "Pwned Dfu mode" which you alway need to get into to enable itunes to downgrade/restore to older ios versions, so first make sure your device is plugged into the computer via usb. To do this open "redsn0w" and go to extras>pwned dfu and follow the instructions to get into dfu mode. (note "dfu mode"is not the same as "pwned dfu mode" but you need to get into "dfu mode" first to allow "redsn0w" to put your phone into "pwned dfu mode" if you follow "redsn0ws instruction correctly it should tell you your phone is now in "pwned dfu mode" and ready for itunes to restore with a custom ispw. (If it errors on the timers to get into dfu mode go back and start again)

7) Now open itunes and click your iphone and then (shift + left click "restore" for windows) or (alt + left click "restore for mac) and a file browsing window should pop up and now you browse to your custom ispw with the bunch of numbers before it you created with redsn0w earlier and select that. and if you have done everything correctly itunes should now restore your phone to 5.0.1.

8) You shold now how a factory default 5.0.1 ios phone and now to jail break simply open "redsn0w" and click jailbreak and follow the instruction or use your own prefered jailbreak method.

Hope this helps you get it done :)

Last edited:
thanks so much for your help davegurn. did everything you said but for some reason while it was restoring went into recovery loop. now i don't know how to get out. any ideas?
thanks again for the help anyways

maybe i should of mention you should always plug your device into the computers usb before you put it into dfu, pwned dfu and restore.

its hard work getting out of the recovery loop, you definatly need to get your phone into dfu mode(heres a thread about it). but its not so easy from the recovery loop. I found that when i was stuck in the recovery loop i had to time everything to the second. so i used this online stop watch here

what i did is when i was at the picture of the usb lead pointing to itunes i started the stopwatch and then made sure my device is plugged in via usb.

Then hold the power button until the pictrure disappears and then straight away without releasing the power button start holding the home button aswell and time this for exactly ten second and as soon as you hit the ten second mark without releasing the home button realease the power button and continue to hold the home button for exactly 15 seconds and then release it on the 15 second mark.

its hard from recovery loop but the main part is the home and power for ten seconds and then just the home for 15 seconds. just keep trying because you have to get into dfu mode if the picture pops up in the middle of the sequence you've miss timed it. you'll know when your there because your phone will look like its off but if you hold the power button it will do nothing! so thats how to get into dfu mode :) !

Now are you sure you've created a 5.0.1 ispw with the 5.0.1 shsh blobs stitched to it? if you have then you should go to redsn0w and select pwned dfu mode again and if you are already in dfu mode like i said you need to be previosly it should put your phone straight into pwned dfu without taking you through the steps to get into dfu mode first.

if you click on pwned dfu and it starts taking you through those dfu timers then it will error and say your phone is in recovery mode and this is because you have not put your phone into dfu mode correctly previously so go back and get into dfu mode and then once redsn0w allows you to put the phone into pwned dfu you are ready to open itunes and shift+click restore and select your custom ispw you've created earlier.

sorry if this doesn't help i don't know how else to explain it and it works fine for me everytime now i know how to do it :) (i've done it a few times following tese exact same steps now!)

Last edited:
BatEars said:
thanks so much for your help davegurn. did everything you said but for some reason while it was restoring went into recovery loop. now i don't know how to get out. any ideas?
thanks again for the help anyways

iREB.

Go to ih8sn0w.com and download iReb.

Open the app, while phone is plugged in of coarse, and click on "Recovery Mode Loop Fixer/ SHSH Blobs Grabber).

Then click on "Set Auto-Boot True (Fixes 1015 Errors/Recovery Loops)".

It's as easy as plugging it in an clicking a button.

Yeah well if the ios restore has failed half way through ireb might not work (it didn't for me) and i was thinking he still needs to restore with his custom ispw but its definatly worth a try.

I'm off anyway i think i've said enough im sure someone else will chime in if your still stuck.

Later

davegurn said:
Yeah well if the ios restore has failed half way through ireb might not work (it didn't for me) and i was thinking he still needs to restore with his custom ispw but its definatly worth a try.

I'm off anyway i think i've said enough im sure someone else will chime in if your still stuck.

Later

Yeah. Proly right. Didn't realize the restore stopped half way. But usually the restore finishes and stops at activating the device...putting it in a recovery loop.

Ok thank you guys for your help. I ended up upgrading to 5.1 because I needed my phone today but retry it tonight.

Oh ok, i take it you just put your phone into dfu and clicked restore then. i didnt suggest this as there is currently no untethered jailbreak for 5.1 on your device however redsn0w does have a tethered jailbreak for your device on 5.1 which means everytime you reboot your device you will have to plug in your device, open redsn0w, place your device into dfu mode and use redsn0w to boot your device.

1) if you want to use it simply open redsn0w, click jailbreak and follow the instructions and select install cydia when it asks

2) every time you reboot your device you will need to plugin your device, open redsn0w, click "extras" and then "just boot" and simply follow the intructions.

If you do not follow step 2 your device will boot but cydia and all your jail broken apps will not work, thats why its a pain, especially if your out and about.

good luck :)

Last edited:
BatEars said:
Ok thank you guys for your help. I ended up upgrading to 5.1 because I needed my phone today but retry it tonight.

If you have SHSH, you can still restore back to 5.0.1 ya know.

I have an iphone 4s and want to restore without upgrading to 5.1. When I try to add the ispw (iPhone4,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore) & (iPhone4,1_5.0.1_9A406_Restore) neither works, it says "stitching is not suported for this device".

I have an iphone 4s and want to restore without upgrading to 5.1. When I try to add the ispw (iPhone4,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore) & (iPhone4,1_5.0.1_9A406_Restore) neither works, it says "stitching is not suported for this device".

That is correct, firmware stitching relies on a bootrom exploit which is non-existant on A5 devices currently. There is no way to downgrade an iPhone4S or an iPad2.

That is correct, firmware stitching relies on a bootrom exploit which is non-existant on A5 devices currently. There is no way to downgrade an iPhone4S or an iPad2.
Hi Jmills,
I'm not downgrading, I haven't upgraded yet. I have some bugs and I want to start over and reinstall my tweaks. Basically, I want to restore and jailbreak again. How do I restore on itunes without upgrading to 5.1? Are we just stuck with what we got and can't restore?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Jmills,
I'm not downgrading, I haven't upgraded yet. I have some bugs and I want to start over and reinstall my tweaks. Basically, I want to restore and jailbreak again. How do I restore on itunes without upgrading to 5.1? Are we just stuck with what we got and can't restore?

Thanks for the help.

Yes. You "cannot" restore without updating to 5.1. It just can't be done on an A5 device at this time. Sorry.
If your having bugs, I recommend you remove Mobile Substrate from Cydia> Manage> Packages.

Doing this will remove all mobile substrate addons (basically all of your tweaks). Once removed, reboot twice. Use the phone for a day. Then slowly, one at a time reinstall all of your tweaks. that should help iron out whatever glitches you had.