What's new

Man if you haven't done it already install RecoveryGuard!

Ok now that I read the post it seems like you did the update first then had the problems and then loaded the RecoveryGuard. Well I loaded the update and lost Cydia, SSH, SBSettings etc. Did the backup thing through I-Tunes with no help. So how do I get these problems NOW that I updated? Can you explain in detail for a newbie step by step how to get back to the jailbroke phone that I had, Thanks

yeah jcamaro, i had your problem and this thread was just advice about recoveryguard so others can avoid the problems i had. i'm going to sleep now so your better off starting a new thread if you want help fast. but iyl be happy to provide you with the steps you need in the morning if you still need help!

What phone you have and do you have the shsh blobs for the ios you want to downgrade to?

Last edited:
I went to bed also. I still the help my my phone is a 3GS. The SHSH from TU was 3GS 4.1 (8B117) -1015307591157
3GS 5.0.1 (9A 405) -1015307591157
I really don't understand what you mean by what shsh blobs for the ios you want to downgrade to. I had the lastest upgrade in the phone until this new one came out I think it was the 5.1 that I just loaded. Hope I we can do something will check back in AM

jcamaro said:
I went to bed also. I still the help my my phone is a 3GS. The SHSH from TU was 3GS 4.1 (8B117) -1015307591157
3GS 5.0.1 (9A 405) -1015307591157
I really don't understand what you mean by what shsh blobs for the ios you want to downgrade to. I had the lastest upgrade in the phone until this new one came out I think it was the 5.1 that I just loaded. Hope I we can do something will check back in AM

You need to get iFaith 1.4.2.

Extract the zip file to your desktop.

Open iFaith and click on "Build Signed ipsw w/ Blobs"

Click browse when it ask you.
Now in the bottom right corner of the window, there is a gray tab that says "iFaith SHSH Files".

Click on it and change it to Tiny Umbrella SHSH.

After that is selected you will see the window fill with your SHSH files you got from Tiny Umbrella.

Choose the 5.0.1 SHSH file for your device.

Now click next.

Now select the IPSW. Or let iFaith download it for you. (iFaith downloads IPSW's pretty fast).

Then click "Build IPSW".

When it's done, click "Proceed", power off the device and follow the instructions to enter PWNED DFU mode.

Once your in PWNED DFU mode, close iFaith.

Open iTunes and hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the restore button.

Makes sure "Desktop" is selected on the left.

Now scroll down to your iFaith signed IPSW and double click on it.

Let iTunes do the rest.

After this is done you will be back on 5.0.1 with an untethered jailbreak.

Seriously. If you plan on enjoying a jailbroken iDevice then never ever ever never ever update your device. You will always loose the jailbreak.

Only update if an untethered jailbreak is released.

I tried iOS 5.1. I didnt like how a few of my most favorite tweaks didn't work.

I don't know if battery life improved. I wasn't on it long enough. Stay away from 5.1 if you want to jailbreak is all I'm saying.lol.

Last edited:
Thanks zig9449,

you've saved me a tutorial! i was going to do one for redsn0w but no point now. You said after hes done the restore with itones he'll be back to an untethered jailbreakk. You mean aftrer he jailbreaks it with something like redsn0w right?

let me know if you need anymore help jcamaro.

Hi guys I have installed recovery guard but now when I click restore then backup then restore it come up with a message that says "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone "Brendan's iPhone". The requested resource was not found"

BatEars said:
Hi guys I have installed recovery guard but now when I click restore then backup then restore it come up with a message that says "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone "Brendan's iPhone". The requested resource was not found"

You can't restore your device with RecoveryGuard installed. iTunes cannot properly read the iOS version its on that way.

It's giving u that error be user it has no idea why you iOS build is 9z999. Of coarse it can't find a matching iOS software. Make sense.

Remove RecoverGuard and it will work fine.

Last edited:
yeah but if he removes recoveryguard and simply clicks restore then it will update him to ios 5.1 which i doubt a jail breaker wants to do which is why im trying to explain how to use a custom ispw in pwned dfu mode.

but yeah people need to remember this saftey measure is there to stop you simply clicking the restore and updating by accident and it looks like it saved BatEars because what he was trying to do would of resulted in him upgrading to ios 5.1. but dfu mode and pwned dfu bypass recoveryguard anyway and the point is your not going to go into dfu mode by accident but it takes 30 seconds to put your phone into pwned dfu if you want to restore.

So basically this stops itunes from being able to update your phone at the click of a button but all you have to do is manually put your phone in to "dfu mode" (theres a sticky on how to do it here) and thats it if you just want to click the itunes restore button and update to the latest ios WHICH IS NOT RECOMMENDED BECAUSE THERE IS ONLY A TETHERED JAILBRAK FOR OLDER DEVICES, so you take it one step further once you are in dfu mode and use something like redsn0w or ifaith to put your device into pwned dfu mode and you are now able to downgrade/restore to a custom ispw.

Last edited:
BatEars said:

What exactly ate you trying to do? Restore from a backup?

I'm not, BatEars is trying to restore to 5.0.1 and now hes ended up in the recovery loop and im trying to help him in another thread.

zig 1st thanks for the hel but I ran TU before and got SHSH files already so when you say
Now in the bottom right corner of the window, there is a gray tab that says "iFaith SHSH Files".

After that is selected you will see the window fill with your SHSH files you got from Tiny Umbrella.

Now click next.

I should skip this because it takes me to the shsh files from when I ran TU and then I can pick 5.0.1 and start PWNED DFU mode can you tell me how

I installed Recoveryguard and No Update on my iPhone 4s no problem. when I try to installed them on my iPad 2, Recoveryguard installed with no problem, No Update gave me this error message, http/1.1 404 Not Found, could it be server overload?

Mine did that 2-3 times on both mine and my wife's phones. I dropped it in the que and let it sit for a minute while I looked at other app, went back to it, tried 2-3 more times and in she went... bizarre but that's how it went on both phones.

jcamaro said:
zig 1st thanks for the hel but I ran TU before and got SHSH files already so when you say

Now click next.

I should skip this because it takes me to the shsh files from when I ran TU and then I can pick 5.0.1 and start PWNED DFU mode can you tell me how

Okay. Cool.

To enter PWNED DFU Mde, power off your device and click on the PWNED DFU iREB tab in iFaith's main screen. Then just follow the instructions. Simples.