What's new

Man if you haven't done it already install RecoveryGuard!

davegurn

Reaction score
I like 1000's of jailbreakers around the world ended up accidentaly updating my ios to 5.1. Luckily i have a 3gs (man do i feel sorry for people who accidently updated on the 4s as they are stuck unable to downgrade ios with no current jailbreak) so i have been able to downgrade, but as a newby i didn't understand how to downgrade and ended up stuck in the dreaded "recovery loop" for about eight hours (when every time you switch your iphone on all you see is a picture of a usb lead pointing towards itunes) and i gradualy started to believe that i had bricked my phone. But in the back of my mind i knew that iphones are just like a pc and unless you have physically damaged the hardware inside then there is always a way to format and start again, also because itune gives you the same message for the "recovery loop" as "dfu mode" i thought that the "recovery loop" was "dfu mode" for a while lol. And once i'd figured that out i also finally realised that "dfu mode" isn't the same as "pwned dfu mode" and once i got into "pwned dfu mode" i was finally able to downgrade with my custom shsh blob stitched ispw.

Anyway it was alot of heartache and paperweight panic, but i suppose now im glad because now i understand how to get out of the recovery loop, the difference between dfu and pwned dfu, how to create custom ispw's with shsh blobs stiched to them and how to downgrade to unsigned ispw's for future reference.

But i imagine alot of people wouldn't want to go through this and even if you know the things that i ended up learning my point is with "RecoveryGuard" this could have all been avoided and it's just a sensible saftey measure even if your a jailbreaking pro, and especially if you have a 4s as currently if you update to 5.1 on the 4s it is imossible to downgrade and there is no 4s 5.1 jailbreak! What "RecoveryGuard" does is fool itunes into thinking your ios is always up to date even when there is a newer ios version availabe, and it doesn't allow itunes to put your iphone into recovery mode which itunes needs to be able to do to perform iphone updates (you can still do an update/restore yourself but you need to put the phone into dfu mode first so there's no chance of an accidental update).

To install "RecoveryGuard" go to cydia sources and add "http://cydia.pushfix.info" and then search cydia for "RecoveryGuard" and install it. And thats it, hope that stops a few of you from having to feel my pain in the future.

And if anyone knows of any other apps the same as or better than RecoveryGuard then i'd love to here about them :)

Last edited:
And how does/did this help you? Sounds like this is an app that must be installed before you have a problem?

Thanks for this top (though I'm sorry you had so much trouble).

In addition to RecoveryGuard, you may want to install the [free] Cydia tweak "No Update." It prevents the phone, running on iOS 5, from searching for and/or downloading the over-the-air (OTA) updates now available with iOS 5.

Should you ever want to upgrade OTA, all you'd have to do is go to Cydia and uninstall the tweak and your phone will be ready to accept any OTA.

Just another "peace of mind" tweak from the jail breaking community...

Marilyn

Of course it needs to be installed before you have these type of problems lodingi, then it will stop you from having them altogether! Just thought i'd share my story and hope it helps others to get recoveryguard installed before they go through what i did, and it should stop me from having the same problems in the future.

Yeah i started looking into these tools alot after my heartache and came across "no update" Mickey32 but thanks for the tip and hopefully others will install that aswell :)

Last edited:
Of course it is needed before you have problems Lodingi! Just thought i'd share my story and hope it helps others to get recoveryguard installed before they go through what i did, and it should stop me from having the same problems in the future.

Yeah i started looking into these tools alot after my heartache and came across "no update" Mickey32 but thanks for the tip and hopefully others will install that aswell :)

Gotcha. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Does recovery guard and no update work for iPad as well?

"recoveryguard" works on the ipad 22tango but not sure about "no update" but if you've jaibroken your ipad then it would be a good idea to get "recoveryguard" installed. And go into cydia and search for "no update" and try to install it.

No Update is working fine on my iPad1 with iOS 5.0.1 installed.

In fact, No Update just got an update in Cydia today. Still working great, as far as I can tell...

Marilyn

Yeah i just got that "no update" update a few hours ago(how ironic lol), thanks for confirming it works on the ipad.

I installed Recoveryguard and No Update on my iPhone 4s no problem. when I try to installed them on my iPad 2, Recoveryguard installed with no problem, No Update gave me this error message, http/1.1 404 Not Found, could it be server overload?

sounds like a web/server problem and not a device problem. maybe it will work later. but im no expert :)

Can someone please tell me how to configure the sim unlock on a 3gs running 5.1 jailbroken thank you!! i want to use my phone!

hey the imaginer if youve updated your phone or someone else has to 5.1 without preserving your baseband, which is shown next to settings>general>about>modem firmware on your phone(mine says 5.16.05) then your screwed as there is no unlock for the 5.0.1 or 5.1 basebands and there probably won't be one for quite sometime if ever. And before you start looking it is physically impossible to downgrade to the unlockable basebands once you have upgraded.

sorry if thats what you have done or if your phone came already upgraded :)

Last edited:
You do not need any tweak to trick iTunes or your iPhone into believing it is updates to the latest version. It is very simple to do,

All RecoveryGuard does is change the build number to 9z999. Or something like that. (don't remember, it's been I while since I discovered the tweak was pointless).

You can do this without installing any tweak.

SSH or use iFile and navigate to:
System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist.

This plist simply tells the device what iOS it has installed.

You can do one of 2 things to this plist:

Change the build number to:9z999
OR
actually change the strings to match that of iOS 5.1.

Change:
<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
<string>9A405</string>
To
<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
<string>9B176</string>

(iPhone 4S users must change the build to 9B179.)

All ya have to do is change the build number. Not retype the whole string.

And change:

<key>ProductVersion</key>
<string>5.0.1</string>

To

Well....just replace 5.0.1 with 5.1

Save and reboot.

Please note:

I think this method is much better then installing another repo for Cydia to load, and having yet another tweak installed. Up to you guys to choose how you want to do it tho.

Also Note:

Changing the SystemVersion.plist does not give your device the features that the iOS your changing it to does.

Last edited:
Ok thanks zig9449 as i said i am new so was not aware you could do it that way! I'yl have to give it a try sometime, but to be honest i'm happy to install the cydia tweak for now.

But to each his own.