What's new

Problem downloading 4.1

Kensterfly

Reaction score
I tried to D/L 4.1 yesterday. It's a HUGE file! After 90 minutes it reached 100%, paused, then I got a "time out" error. I figured I'd just click update again and it would resume where it had previously stopped. But NO, it wanted to start all over again. I had already busted my providers FAP with the first download so decided I would try again after 0200 AM when it is a free download time. I started a new update about 2:15 this morning and saw that the d/l was happening before I went back to bed. When I got up this morning there was STILL no update. iTunes (10) had closed so there was no error message. There was also no sign of the download. My iP4 still shows version 4.0.
Is there somewhere to look on the computer to see if the OS file was downloaded?

Why is the d/l not completing? Why is it timing out? Are you suppose to turn off your firewall and anti-virus?

Is there some other place to grab this update file other than through iTunes?

Look on iClarified website under TUTORIALS - iPHONE - BASICS - WHERE TO DOWNLOAD iPHONE FIRMWARE FILES FROM. It's all there, any version you want up to 4.1,

Good Luck

Thanks. I'll have a look over there. Pretty frustrated. I just d/l'd 4.1 for the third time. It did the complete download but would not update the phone. I hit update again and it started the entire download again. So I stopped it.
Why would it download three times but not update the phone. Will not automatically update a JB'd phone? Do I need to do a factory restore before I update?

My experience has been that when a file takes a very long time to d/l that it's much more prone to have errors. Are you having this problem with the file from iClarified ?
Have you rebooted after the install? You can look under SETTINGS - ABOUT - VERSION and it will tell you if it has updated or not. BTW if your doing a normal d/l, not thru iTunes, the file will be in your DOWNLOADS folder or what ever folder you put you normal downloads in. IF you used iTunes I think it should be in the following folder.

c:users/your user id/AppData/Local/Apple/Apple Software Update/

I'm not sure about. Maybe someone else can tell us for sure.

Once the new firmware 4.1 is downloaded to your download folder, go into iTunes with you iPhone hooked up to your computer. SYNC and BACKUP your phone!!!! If your jailbroken use pkgBackup from the Cydia Store ( its worth it ) before you backup.

On the Summary page, Shift Click on the Restore Button, find the file you downloaded, click on it, you will get a message asking if this is what you want to do. Click yes. It should install the 4.1 package. After its done, do a normal restore. Everything should be back to normal with the 4.1 update in installed.

If you are JB, then re-JB and install Cydia and pkgbackup. Follow the instructions to restore you JB apps.

GOOD LUCK

IF I AM WRONG ON ANY STEP, PLEASE CORRECT ME ASAP!!!!!!

Last edited:
Apparently this is the file I need, rather than trying to d/l it through iTunes, which is not working for me.

4.1.0 (4): iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw

It's scheduled to d/l via my providers download manager during 'free time' tonight. Once it's downloaded, then what? Where do I look for it tomorrow (where will the downloaded file be stored?) Is it executable with just a click?
There are no instructions even though the files are found under "tutorial."

thanks.

My experience has been that when a file takes a very long time to d/l that it's much more prone to have errors. Are you having this problem with the file from iClarified ?
Have you rebooted after the install? You can look under SETTINGS - ABOUT - VERSION and it will tell you if it has updated or not. BTW if your doing a normal d/l, not thru iTunes, the file will be in your DOWNLOADS folder or what ever folder you put you normal downloads in. IF you used iTunes I think it should be in the following folder.

c:users/your user id/AppData/Local/Apple/Apple Software Update/

I'm not sure about. Maybe someone else can tell us for sure.

Once the new firmware 4.1 is downloaded to your download folder, go into iTunes with you iPhone hooked up to your computer. SYNC and BACKUP your phone!!!! If your jailbroken use pkgBackup from the Cydia Store ( its worth it ) before you backup.

On the Summary page, Shift Click on the Restore Button, find the file you downloaded, click on it, you will get a message asking if this is what you want to do. Click yes. It should install the 4.1 package. After its done, do a normal restore. Everything should be back to normal with the 4.1 update in installed.

If you are JB, then re-JB and install Cydia and pkgbackup. Follow the instructions to restore you JB apps.

GOOD LUCK

IF I AM WRONG ON ANY STEP, PLEASE CORRECT ME ASAP!!!!!!

The download manager should tell you where it put the file. If not, use you local search engine (windows explorer or MAC finder) to find it. Then follow the instructions above. You cannot just execute the file! iTune must install the file.

After three failed attempts to d/l 4.1 I went to Starbucks today and used their free wifi to make a successful update on my iPhone 4. However, when I got home I was surprised to find that, even though I have successfully downloaded 4.1 to my computer, when I plugged in my old iP3G it apparently requires a whole new download to update. This seems crazy to me. The firmware for 4.1 was downloaded. Is it automatically deleted from my computer once one devise has been updated?

It wouldn't be so bad if the freekin' files weren't so large that it takes well over an hour to download them. And it's virtually impossible if you have FAP limits with your provider.

After three failed attempts to d/l 4.1 I went to Starbucks today and used their free wifi to make a successful update on my iPhone 4. However, when I got home I was surprised to find that, even though I have successfully downloaded 4.1 to my computer, when I plugged in my old iP3G it apparently requires a whole new download to update. This seems crazy to me. The firmware for 4.1 was downloaded. Is it automatically deleted from my computer once one devise has been updated?

It wouldn't be so bad if the freekin' files weren't so large that it takes well over an hour to download them. And it's virtually impossible if you have FAP limits with your provider.

wait but the firmware for an old iphone 3g is different from the iphone 4 you cant use the same firmware on different devices, for me it does not delete, go into the folder you should still see it there

wait but the firmware for an old iphone 3g is different from the iphone 4 you cant use the same firmware on different devices, for me it does not delete, go into the folder you should still see it there

Ah, that explains it. I successfully grabbed 4.1 for the 3G around 0230 this morning. So, I'm good now. I also finally found where the files for both the iP4 and the 3G are stored on my laptop. I had to first go to Folder Options to Show Hidden files.

I'm going to give my Bride my old 3G soon and will restore to Factory settings which, I guess will require another update. Hopefully this time it will update from the one in the stored file and not force another download.

Thanks for all the help!

Ah, that explains it. I successfully grabbed 4.1 for the 3G around 0230 this morning. So, I'm good now. I also finally found where the files for both the iP4 and the 3G are stored on my laptop. I had to first go to Folder Options to Show Hidden files.

I'm going to give my Bride my old 3G soon and will restore to Factory settings which, I guess will require another update. Hopefully this time it will update from the one in the stored file and not force another download.

Thanks for all the help!

np and it wont re dl it will just use the same file in the folder unless u do it when there is a new fw 4.2 is coming soon