What's new

Pod2g now has all 5.1 exploits needed and is working on bypassing ASLR

Gotcha, just wondering because I've put alot of work into my JB since I JBed, not ready to redo it just yet lol
It's very easy to save all your tweaks with zero worry of bringing any problems forward. I do it successfully all the time. It involves a combo of an app called PKGBkUp and then for theme tweaks you have to save your var/stash/themes folder to your computer using iFunBox or any other app that allows you to SSH into your phone. The only tricky part is knowing what apps will work at the new iOS version number. So it takes a while to learn WHAT to save and what to re-download, checking for version compatibility. But in my experience the main thing that would take me hours to redo are all my themes and theme tweaks. And they're not usually iOS version specific - for the most part. Yes, I am a little oversimplifying a bit. But for me I'm back up and running with all themes and apps in tact about 1 hour after upgrading and re-jailbreaking.

It's very easy to save all your tweaks with zero worry of bringing any problems forward. I do it successfully all the time. It involves a combo of an app called PKGBkUp and then for theme tweaks you have to save your var/stash/themes folder to your computer using iFunBox or any other app that allows you to SSH into your phone. The only tricky part is knowing what apps will work at the new iOS version number. So it takes a while to learn WHAT to save and what to re-download, checking for version compatibility. But in my experience the main thing that would take me hours to redo are all my themes and theme tweaks. And they're not usually iOS version specific - for the most part. Yes, I am a little oversimplifying a bit. But for me I'm back up and running with all themes and apps in tact about 1 hour after upgrading and re-jailbreaking.

Sweet. I will check this out after work. Thanks

I take it after re-JB you just copy and paste the var/stash/themes folder overwriting the one on the new JB?

I will YouTube the backup app you are talking about for instructions.

Last edited:
Sweet. I will check this out after work. Thanks

I take it after re-JB you just copy and paste the var/stash/themes folder overwriting the one on the new JB?

I will YouTube the backup app you are talking about for instructions.
You CAN simply overwrite the themes folder from an SSH client. It's pretty much the ONLY folder you can do that with. You need to be more selective with some tweaks depending on if they're rewritten for the new iOS version or not. What I end up finding out is that some tweaks I "tried" in a previous iOS version I no longer want or need now. SO -- here sorta my steps.

1)Restore - set up as a NEW phone
2)Jailbreak
3)Download all purchased apps from Apple Store (takes a while - coffee break #1)
4)Download PKGBackUp from Cydia - log in to my DropBox acct and restore to my last backup (this takes a LONG time (coffee break #2)- and restores main themes but not all the tweaks I've done TO those themes)
5)SSH into my phone (change root and machine passwords from 'alpine' to my own password)
6)Copy my own backed up themes folder (from my desktop) to var/stash/themes

That's pretty much it. Now -- occasionally - I haven't done the PKGBackup step above because I wanted to do some "house cleaning" of tweaks I no longer want from that last backup I did. If I'm particularly good to myself - I do the housecleaning (erasing) of tweaks I don't want BEFORE saving my last PKGBackUp run before I upgrade or downgrade iOS versions. But occasionally I skip that step all together and starting at (and in place of) step 4 above:

alt. 4) Download and install Open SSH (allows SSH'ing into your phone after jailbreak), Winterboard and PerPageHTML+ (and a few others I won't confuse you with now) from Cydia
Then follow step 5 on above.

Then -- after I get my themes back to the way they were before I restored/upgraded - I start picking and choosing the Cydia apps I "have to have". I keep a notepad file on my Mac/PC with all the ones I like and have tried and where to get them.

So let me revise my previous time estimate - whenever I restore or upgrade if I start in the late morning (I'm not a morning person)-- it's until after dinner until I have everything back the way I want it. But I'm a big tweaker and have LOADS of apps/tweaks and themes. For a person who sticks with 1-5 themes they like to fool with - you can be back up and running in a few hours easy.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Seeing how the jailbreak is complete and working, any word if it is going to be released?

I want to jb my iphone4 GSM, but I don't want to do it tethered. I'm currently on 5.1, and haven't upgraded to 5.1.1.

Seeing how the jailbreak is complete and working, any word if it is going to be released?

I want to jb my iphone4 GSM, but I don't want to do it tethered. I'm currently on 5.1, and haven't upgraded to 5.1.1.

It could be a while, all we can do is sit and wait for pod2g to finish the jb for public release

Just because the developers have their devices jailbroken doesn't mean the jailbreak tool is complete. Developers use command line interfaces to jailbreak their devices. It takes time to compile their exploits into a user-friendly GUI tool. I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

The best layman's way to explain the time lag between a Dev getting their device JB'ed and us getting the delivery system is something like:
The devs already know Chinese as a language. So when a new iOS version comes out they can go right into it and understand it. Now 99% of us out here don't speak Chinese. So - they could teach us all Chinese - and then we could JB our devices ourselves - but that would take forever. So what they have to do each time is develop a device that translates Chinese to English and then give us all access to that device. That's why it takes so long.

What I've shared there is a very limited analogy that likely breaks down a bit - but it gives an idea of why it takes so long to get the delivery system for the untethered to us. We don't know how to make our phones speak Chinese - but devs do. So they have to build this device to 'translate' for us. And the translation is different each time.

Last edited:
I know this is probably stupid, but I only want to jb my device so I can change the way sms/mms looks. I prefer the Android/Blackberry non-bubble look. Nothing I can find will change the way it looks on an iPhone without jb.

I know this is probably stupid, but I only want to jb my device so I can change the way sms/mms looks. I prefer the Android/Blackberry non-bubble look. Nothing I can find will change the way it looks on an iPhone without jb.

You won't be able to find anything to modify the way your SMS/MMS looks without jailbreaking. That type of modification requires root access to the device.

You CAN simply overwrite the themes folder from an SSH client. It's pretty much the ONLY folder you can do that with. You need to be more selective with some tweaks depending on if they're rewritten for the new iOS version or not. What I end up finding out is that some tweaks I "tried" in a previous iOS version I no longer want or need now. SO -- here sorta my steps.

1)Restore - set up as a NEW phone
2)Jailbreak
3)Download all purchased apps from Apple Store (takes a while - coffee break #1)
4)Download PKGBackUp from Cydia - log in to my DropBox acct and restore to my last backup (this takes a LONG time (coffee break #2)- and restores main themes but not all the tweaks I've done TO those themes)
5)SSH into my phone (change root and machine passwords from 'alpine' to my own password)
6)Copy my own backed up themes folder (from my desktop) to var/stash/themes

That's pretty much it. Now -- occasionally - I haven't done the PKGBackup step above because I wanted to do some "house cleaning" of tweaks I no longer want from that last backup I did. If I'm particularly good to myself - I do the housecleaning (erasing) of tweaks I don't want BEFORE saving my last PKGBackUp run before I upgrade or downgrade iOS versions. But occasionally I skip that step all together and starting at (and in place of) step 4 above:

alt. 4) Download and install Open SSH (allows SSH'ing into your phone after jailbreak), Winterboard and PerPageHTML+ (and a few others I won't confuse you with now) from Cydia
Then follow step 5 on above.

Then -- after I get my themes back to the way they were before I restored/upgraded - I start picking and choosing the Cydia apps I "have to have". I keep a notepad file on my Mac/PC with all the ones I like and have tried and where to get them.

So let me revise my previous time estimate - whenever I restore or upgrade if I start in the late morning (I'm not a morning person)-- it's until after dinner until I have everything back the way I want it. But I'm a big tweaker and have LOADS of apps/tweaks and themes. For a person who sticks with 1-5 themes they like to fool with - you can be back up and running in a few hours easy.

Hope that helps!

Thanks very nice write up! It actually doesn't seem like it will take too long for me because I mostly have tweaks. The only thing I have themed is my status bar and SMS. I went ahead and downloaded the pkgbkup app(7.99 for anyone wondering) and im going to update it on my next day off. It actually looks like it will go pretty smooth for me as mostly everything I have downloaded is listed in the packages drop down list in the backup app. Looks like all I will have to download afterwards is winter board ands my status bar/SMS theme.

Thanks again, this is going to save me alot of time.

Thanks very nice write up! It actually doesn't seem like it will take too long for me because I mostly have tweaks. The only thing I have themed is my status bar and SMS. I went ahead and downloaded the pkgbkup app(7.99 for anyone wondering) and im going to update it on my next day off. It actually looks like it will go pretty smooth for me as mostly everything I have downloaded is listed in the packages drop down list in the backup app. Looks like all I will have to download afterwards is winter board ands my status bar/SMS theme.

Thanks again, this is going to save me alot of time.
Don't move too quickly. Remind me again what you're upgrading to and how you think you're going to jailbreak. Are you on an iPhone 4 or on the 4S? There is no jailbreak for 5.1 or 5.1.1 on a 4S. You already know that, right?

Upcoming redsn0w supports restoring, including iPad2/3 and 4S downgrades (with blobs) http://t.co/XRxSTHr4 ..also stitches on the fly :)......... Does this mean we have to have blobs saved? Or is this telling us we can restore with " other blobs" ?

my phone

Last edited:
Lol every time I get a email from this thread i'm hoping its a post saying the jailbreak is released......

hinds90 said:
Lol every time I get a email from this thread i'm hoping its a post saying the jailbreak is released......

Me too

my phone

Upcoming redsn0w supports restoring, including iPad2/3 and 4S downgrades (with blobs) Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter ..also stitches on the fly :)......... Does this mean we have to have blobs saved? Or is this telling us we can restore with " other blobs" ?

As with all other downgrade methods you will need the 5.0.1 SHSH blobs for your specific device.