What's new

Phone Battery

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
Lately, I have noticed that my phone battery is running down faster than it ever has before. I fully charge it each time it drops down 30%-20%. I am not using the phone any differently than I used to do. Any ideas why it seems to run down faster now? Could it have anything to do with any of the OS updates?

Thanks!

Lately, I have noticed that my phone battery is running down faster than it ever has before. I fully charge it each time it drops down 30%-20%. I am not using the phone any differently than I used to do. Any ideas why it seems to run down faster now? Could it have anything to do with any of the OS updates?

Thanks!

How old is your phone?

Embarrassed to say I do not remember! It is at least 6 to 7 years old.

Embarrassed to say I do not remember! It is at least 6 to 7 years old.

Your battery / how many times it’s been charged may be the issue.

It could be any number of things however that battery has got to be on its last legs :-(.

A battery that old has seen its prime and is most likely well past that. In your battery under settings, you can check the capacity of your battery under battery health. This will help determine how much is truly left of it. My guess it’s well beyond it’s age and will be less capable of holding a charge. Here is what I am speaking of. With my battery the phone isn’t very old, just a few months, so I still have 100% capacity.
IMG_1295.JPG

Thank you, 933. How long is a battery supposed to last? I do not use my phone a lot. I sometimes make phone calls, and rarely I use the GPS feature to help me navigate to an address, or I may access an email app, but that is about all. I have never used it listen to music or anything---have no idea how that works even.

Do I have to go to the Apple store to have another battery put in? How much will that cost? I would be loathe to try to open the phone and replace anything on my own.

Thank you, bear7962. Afraid the same thing is happening to me, too!

New battery is approx $30-$40 depending on where you have it replaced at. Best Buy is an authorized dealer for the replacement batteries and I have even seen batteries plus replaces them. If you are planning on keeping the phone it’s well worth getting a new battery. A friend of mine had hers replaced and it made a world of difference. No more having to keep a charger around during the day!

Thank you, 933. Yes, I hoped to keep it for as long as possible. It is a few years old now, but so long as it does what I want it to do, I would prefer to avoid buying another expensive iPhone. This has been a good phone for my purposes, and it is built very well. My eyes, however, are getting worse and worse, and I now fear I eventually have to look for one with a little bigger screen, which is a shame because I prefer this size phone.

Thank you, 933. Yes, I hoped to keep it for as long as possible. It is a few years old now, but so long as it does what I want it to do, I would prefer to avoid buying another expensive iPhone. This has been a good phone for my purposes, and it is built very well. My eyes, however, are getting worse and worse, and I now fear I eventually have to look for one with a little bigger screen, which is a shame because I prefer this size phone.
You may be able to get a larger iPhone a few years old at a savings over new prices.

Yes, that is a good idea, scifan57. Any advice on how to find a good one that has not had problems, been dropped a lot, etc.?