What's new

Battery Life with iOS5

So at first my phone was fine for about a week. Then yesterday I noticed really bad in the morning. Then settled down. here is a crazy question does it make sense that the phone would hold a charge longer if charged via wall outlet as opposed to USB? Charged overnight via USB and quick battery drain this morning again. Then plugged into wall when it was at 60% unplugged at 100% at 10am and I'm at 60% now ten hours later which is great. Pretty much been home all day.

Using the wall charger will fast charge your iphone to 80% then trickle charge to 100%, This is the best way to charge your phone. Connecting to the USB uses a lower power and takes longer to fully charge your iphone, so it will take longer to fully top off the battery even though the indicator may say 100%.
As for battery usage, when i 1st picked up my phone the 1st couple of days it drained the battery fast. I had to charge it before the day was done, for this reason i went and bought the Mophie juicepack plus for my iphone. How ever after the initial few days it seems my phone is getting better with battery power. When 1st activated the WIFI was turned on, I rarely use WIFI so i turned it off and only turn it on when i want to use it. The Blue tooth was also on. I don't use blue tooth for anything so i turned that feature off. My mail was set up to push and i changed it to fetch every hour. Doing these changes it uses only about 50% of battery per day. Thats with moderate use, getting email, talking on the phone, text messages, some internet surfing, and i have sevral apps i check several times a day. I may take back the mophie juice pack plus cause if my phone stays like this i have no need for the extra battery pack.

Using the wall charger will fast charge your iphone to 80% then trickle charge to 100%.

There is no such charging logic in the phone or the wall charger. The phone draws as much power as it needs if it can from the source, and charges the battery with it. No trickle charge after 80%... It charges slower on many USB connections simply because they are low power connections.

There is no such charging logic in the phone or the wall charger. The phone draws as much power as it needs if it can from the source, and charges the battery with it. No trickle charge after 80%... It charges slower on many USB connections simply because they are low power connections.

I don't know either way about any Apple designed charging cycle, current restrictions of the cable and temperature will play a part in how much initial charge can be 'pulled', and so how long a battery takes to fully charge, but so will the batteries own makeup.

Many rechargeable batteries will draw a very high current to initially recharge, tailing off as it fills up then draws less current (this can easier be seen with car battery chargers). The chargers components, if properly designed will restrict what is 'pulled' simply to protect it, the device and the cable from shorts and also the battery from damage through overheating.

I use the iPad charger for both phone and pad, before I had the ipad 2, I use ASUS's USB tweak which up's the current available from the PC's USB ports.

perfectly understandable. Just starting iPhone 4S today so this is something for me to pay attention to. I have never had an iPhone (waiting for VzW to come through with new 4S)

Very interesting about charging from wall versus USB. Personally I would always charge from the wall outlet when available.

Using the wall charger will fast charge your iphone to 80% then trickle charge to 100%, This is the best way to charge your phone. Connecting to the USB uses a lower power and takes longer to fully charge your iphone, so it will take longer to fully top off the battery even though the indicator may say 100%.
As for battery usage, when i 1st picked up my phone the 1st couple of days it drained the battery fast. I had to charge it before the day was done, for this reason i went and bought the Mophie juicepack plus for my iphone. How ever after the initial few days it seems my phone is getting better with battery power. When 1st activated the WIFI was turned on, I rarely use WIFI so i turned it off and only turn it on when i want to use it. The Blue tooth was also on. I don't use blue tooth for anything so i turned that feature off. My mail was set up to push and i changed it to fetch every hour. Doing these changes it uses only about 50% of battery per day. Thats with moderate use, getting email, talking on the phone, text messages, some internet surfing, and i have sevral apps i check several times a day. I may take back the mophie juice pack plus cause if my phone stays like this i have no need for the extra battery pack.

I'm an avid outdoorsman and use my iPhone extensively when in the field. I NEED lots of battery life due to extensive GPS and Google Earth usage.
Sent you a PM about the Mophie JP Plus and your likes/dislikes.

Is there an advantage For life of battery to wait till runs down to 20% or 10 before re charging?

My phones battery only last 12 hour light usage horrible. I do have sick theme, just wondering if this is normal. Also have done all tips to keep batt life, is it my theme? Thanks

TGTyler said:
I have noticed that the first 10-15% of my usage in the morning is fast but after that it seems to settle down....Am i just imagining this?

I've noticed that as well. I did turn off all notification for email and the other apps I have I check them manually and that also seems to help.

I am a heavy user of my phone. I've had it on for almost 7 hours now and am only at 73%.

somdfisher said:
I am a heavy user of my phone. I've had it on for almost 7 hours now and am only at 73%.

Do you text and use apps like Facebook, etc. ?

?

Sent from my Tricked Out Pink Hearts Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update iPF.net

I text my wife just about all day, plus coworkers. I use Facebook, google+, twitter, Flickr, myfoxdc app, and surf the web. My job is mainly pretty boring do I pass the time on my phone. Also play Temple Run a lot.

somdfisher said:
I text my wife just about all day, plus coworkers. I use Facebook, google+, twitter, Flickr, myfoxdc app, and surf the web. My job is mainly pretty boring do I pass the time on my phone. Also play Temple Run a lot.

Wow, I have to keep my phone plugged in all day at work to do all of that.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net