What's new

3G and battery conservation

Rocinante

Reaction score
On the AT&T iPhone, you can turn the 3G off and go to their slower EDGE service to conserve battery life (reported to DOUBLE the talk and standby time). I see that on the Verizon iPhone, there's no alternative to 3G other than to turn off data altogether. I realize that it is a big sacrifice to speed, and most folks need it fast all the time, but sometimes I just need to check email and would like to have longer battery life for the phone. Too bad there's no alternative to either 3G or OFF.

There is no way to just turn 3G data off - it's either all or nothing.

Have you been having battery issues? My battery was at 55% when I went to bed at 12am last night.

To really save battery, turn off WiFi and GPS when not in use - I miss the eay Android widgets for that :(

If you check out the specs of the iPhone 4 from Engadget below, and scroll down to the table with bettery life, you'll notice that the 2G voice option for AT&T doubles batter life. It is listed as 'not available for Verizon'. If you disable the mobile data option, you will have greatly increased battery life, however, you won't get e-mail and you won't be able to use any app that connects to the internet (including web browsing) until it is turned back on. The Verizon iphone does not give you the option to use 2G data only.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/04/iphone-4-on-verizon-how-when-where-and-whether-to-buy-it/

Settings/general/network then cellular data off. I just wish there was a lower consumption option.
That isn't answering his question. With AT&T you have the option to disable only 3G, telling the phone to stay on the EDGE network for voice and data. With Verizon you can only enable or disable data in general, not just 3G mode.

Settings/general/network then cellular data off. I just wish there was a lower consumption option.
That isn't answering his question. With AT&T you have the option to disable only 3G, telling the phone to stay on the EDGE network for voice and data. With Verizon you can only enable or disable data in general, not just 3G mode.

Yes, I answered his question. It isn't possible on the CDMA iPhone. If you need that option, your only choice is to switch to AT&T.

Yes, I answered his question. It isn't possible on the CDMA iPhone. If you need that option, your only choice is to switch to AT&T.
I was referring to Rocinante not to you.