What's new

How Far Down Should the Battery Be Allowed To Go

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
My 5s has great battery life. I can fully charge it a few hours before bed, then go to bed, and the next morning, it is still at 100%. Very pleased with it. However, I was wondering if I should let the battery go down every so often, and if so, how far down should I let it go? I have read conflicting articles on line. Some say mobile phone batteries should always be kept close to 100% charged. Others say it is good for them to go down quite low a few times a month. Which is it?

You should allow your battery runs down all the way and charge it fully at least once a month in order to keep the battery percentage indicator properly calibrated.

All the way down to ZERO??? Will the phone turn itself off once the battery dies down to a certain level like my old LG Motion used to do?

All the way down to ZERO??? Will the phone turn itself off once the battery dies down to a certain level like my old LG Motion used to do?
The phone will turn off if the battery runs down to zero. You can use the phone until the battery level goes to zero, then charge it until it gets to 10%, or you could charge it fully once it gets to 5-10%.

Thank you, J.A., and thank you, too, scifan57. I think I will allow my battery to go down to less than 20% and then recharge it. Does Apple make a car charger for this phone?? My phone came with the charger that you plug into the wall and/or into the computer, and it came with earphones (have not used them yet), but no car charger.

Thank you, J.A., and thank you, too, scifan57. I think I will allow my battery to go down to less than 20% and then recharge it. Does Apple make a car charger for this phone?? My phone came with the charger that you plug into the wall and/or into the computer, and it came with earphones (have not used them yet), but no car charger.
Apple doesn't produce a car charger itself but their online store and retail locations sell approved third party USB car chargers.

Wow, I am surprised they do not make their own. Most of the time I am near an electrical outlet or my computer, and my battery really holds a charge well, but I may consider looking for a car charger if I have to go on a long trip or something where I cannot easily or conveniently stop to charge the phone. Thank you.

If looking for a car charger- get a 2.1 or 2.4 amp one from a reputable brand like Griffin at best buy. Faster charging times- you won't regret it.

Okay, thanks cfclay. I appreciate the advice. : )

I often need to charge in the car and used to find i didn't remember to take my cable so i bought a spare from the Apple store a while back to keep in the car.

I am just amazed how fast my phone will charge, not to mention how long the battery life is. Right now it is at 72%, but I will not bother to charge it before I retire. It will not go down that much before tomorrow morning. I really like this phone.

I had never looked at the iphone in person, so I was a little worried it might feel too small to me, but I am very pleased with the size. Since the six was coming out at the time I was about to purchase, I almost bought a six, but really, I am glad I bought the 5s. Even the smaller six may have felt a bit to big for me. I like my phone to fit comfortably in my sunglass case, or in my top pocket, etc. I am pleased I bought the iphone over another Android phone. I am not saying Android is bad, but I like my iphone. : )