What's new

No built in GPS function on iPhone4?

joeyvaz

Reaction score
So I just picked up my iPhone4 yesterday from the local Apple Store. It took over 3 hours because of issues with ATT and the Apple store's system interfacing with each other. So to say I was frustrated is an understatement.

Anyway, I also have a Moto Droid that MAY eventually go away if and when I decide to keep the iPhone4. BUT, I see it doesn't have built in GPS navigation the way my Droid does. The Droid uses google maps for turn by turn directions. It is fantastic AND free. I use this a lot since I am a limo driver. So if I want to have this functionality on my iPhone4 I need to spend another $40 at least for the US Tom Tom maps? That kind of stinks!!! I wish I knew this before wasting 3 hours at the store yesterday.

The iPhone is going to have to knock other aspects and features out of the park in order for me to keep it. I'm glad I decided NOT to port my phone # over from Verizon and kill my account with them immediately after getting the iPhone4.

Any suggestions on whether the Tom Tom or Magellan app is best? Any free apps to give turn by turn directions.

Thanks,
Joe

Navigon has regional navigation apps that lessen the cost. For instance, I believe the southeast region is like $19.99. I have and use it along with my wife. We love it but doesn't beat the free one on the droid. If you are wanting something free search the apps store and start downloading. There are tons to close from.

So I just picked up my iPhone4 yesterday from the local Apple Store. It took over 3 hours because of issues with ATT and the Apple store's system interfacing with each other. So to say I was frustrated is an understatement.

Anyway, I also have a Moto Droid that MAY eventually go away if and when I decide to keep the iPhone4. BUT, I see it doesn't have built in GPS navigation the way my Droid does. The Droid uses google maps for turn by turn directions. It is fantastic AND free. I use this a lot since I am a limo driver. So if I want to have this functionality on my iPhone4 I need to spend another $40 at least for the US Tom Tom maps? That kind of stinks!!! I wish I knew this before wasting 3 hours at the store yesterday.

The iPhone is going to have to knock other aspects and features out of the park in order for me to keep it. I'm glad I decided NOT to port my phone # over from Verizon and kill my account with them immediately after getting the iPhone4.

Any suggestions on whether the Tom Tom or Magellan app is best? Any free apps to give turn by turn directions.

Thanks,
Joe

Map quest has free voice navigation.

Would any of the downloaded GPS apps. have no need to use your 3G $$services?

Thanks,
Joe

Am i missing something here? The iphone 4 has a free app thats called... MAPS! It works perfectly fine. Maybe i Missed something when i was reading but... Idk

Thanks,
Joe

Am i missing something here? The iphone 4 has a free app thats called... MAPS! It works perfectly fine. Maybe i Missed something when i was reading but... Idk

I hope so, I will be getting an iPhone 4 in a couple of weeks, it will be my first iPhone, and not having a GPS free of service fees will be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks,
Joe

I hope so, I will be getting an iPhone 4 in a couple of weeks, it will be my first iPhone, and not having a GPS free of service fees will be a deal breaker for me.

Well idk what that one guy was talking about but the iphone does have gps. It has a stock map application that is actually very good. And its free. There are no fees or anything. And if you really dont like it there are so many different map apps you can buy from all range of prices.

Its worth mentioning that the default GPS map system is, yes free and good, using Google Maps but beware that it is downloading the map data in real time as you travel (and you have to have coverage). In addition to the normal dedicated GPS brand names that have a port for the iPhone, there are a few others that focus more on outdoor activities like Bushwalking, mountain biking, x-country skiing etc. that may also offer map downloads that can be stored on your iP and used anywhere even without coverage. IMHO the best of the bunch is MotionX GPS MotionX GPS for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store.
There is a free (Lite) version.

The paid version has a very slick feature with topographical maps (downloadable). If you have a favorite track, check it out.

Cheers Anton....

He's not saying that there is no GPS functionality at the basic level. The Android OS has voice turn by turn built in. There are free apps on the app store that provide this service.

I personally use AT&T's Navigator. It's free, full featured, fast, and very accurate. There are some roads that I've bumped into that were not on the Nav, but they were in the back woods of Georgia.

Well idk what that one guy was talking about but the iphone does have gps. It has a stock map application that is actually very good. And its free. There are no fees or anything. And if you really dont like it there are so many different map apps you can buy from all range of prices.

Thanks for the information, I don't mind buying a GPS app. I just want to avoid paying monthly fees.

I personally use AT&T's Navigator. It's free, full featured, fast, and very accurate. There are some roads that I've bumped into that were not on the Nav, but they were in the back woods of Georgia.

check your bill...att nav costs monthly

Man. If you got charged for using att's map app you got raped. I never get charged for that.