What's new

GPS navigation on iPhone 4s

Rampant

Reaction score
My contract is up and I need to get a new phone. I love the snappy excellence of the ipod touch we use for development at work, and I am interested in moving to iphone from my old droid.

I'm not a huge apps person. 99% of the time I use my phone it is for a few basic things:

1. GPS and navigation (I love the voice activated location search, etc on my droid)
2. Photos and sharing (which is terrible on the droid)
3. making notes to myself
4. Music player (also not very good, I don't like any of the free music players I've found).

The one thing I'm not sure about is the GPS navigation system. Apparently iphone doesn't have a GPS navigator built in? Is that even possible these days (given my droid has had it for years on end).

Those who own a iPhone 4s... what is the current state of affairs with GPS. This is the app I use almost daily.

You will be dissapointed with not only the stock offering of apple maps, but the free navigation apps as well, as they are nowhere near as good as the google nav which was free with android.

I've been using waze and mapquest. waze has a better ui, but it seems really stupid. Mapquest seems to be a bit smarter but the ui stinks. Neither can hold a candle to google.

I would guess some of the paid nav's would be better, but coming from android as well, i can't fathom paying for a good navigation.

I use satnav 2 which was free at the time not sure if it still is. It's ok but doesn't beat my Tom Tom in fact it's a millions miles away from a Tom Tom device

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 using Tapatalk

As rosales stated above, try the MotionX GPS Drive app. It's pretty good but probably not as good as the Android device's app.

First, welcome to the forum. I just picked up a 4 S. It is a fantastic device. Even at 3G speed it is very fast. IMO, the navigation is the Achilles heel of the iPhone. Google map/nav is vastly superior and, understandably, it will not be available on the iPhone.

In addition to Mapquest check out NavFree. It takes "forever" to DL another annoyance, IMO.

rosales_75904 said:
Try motion x from apple store. Cost is .99¢

But you need a subscription if you want to hear turn by turn direction. You better off buying the Tom tom, that's what I'm going to do.

firemanprice said:
But you need a subscription if you want to hear turn by turn direction. You better off buying the Tom tom, that's what I'm going to do.

Not really. You can purchase turn by turn when you need it. So if you don't use it all the time you can pass on a yearly fee.

I've got to review the TomTom app some more. Evaluating a few now. For free, Mapquest is a good hold over. I've just loaded MotionX and must say, I'm rather impressed with it so far. Going to check some reviews and write ups on TomTom next. For the investment, grab MotionX to hold you over.

I agree with MotionX -- a fine app. I've never liked Mapquest much, personally, because you can't "pin" just any location with it. If you can, I haven't figured it out yet.