What's new

Need an HONEST answer

Taylor263621

Reaction score
Ok, before I ask my question, I want to say I'am a HUGE apple person, and would like a biased/rational answer.

I own a MacbookPro, Itouch and Ipad. Now my contract is up with Verizon Droid X next month (Which I love so much over blackberry)

The key to getting the new phone is having the 4g LTE capabilities. (Iphone4) does not have that.

Question: Which one of the three would you buy?

A. Thunderbolt 4G LTE
B. Charge 4LG LTE
C. Wait for Iphone5
D. Go another direction.

NOTE: My contract is up in like 2-3 weeks.

Don't buy anything unless your Droid X is on deaths door.

iPhone 4S is due this fall.
Android is still trying to roll out Gingerbread to most phones.
LTE isn't ready for prime time yet.

I figure around October is when you should actually make this choice.

my problem is ...i change my cell phone, girls and cars like my boxers.....and although my Droid X is a great PHONE.....i want 4G

I'm in Sochi Russia, your next host of winter Olympic games in 2014. We have 4G WiMAX.

4G works very spotty and is much less reliable over 3G. This will be much more pronounced with LTE standard, as unlike LTE, WiMAX is optimized for moving target reception.

I can't picture why you need 4G on your phone, as skype and other video conferencing works really well with 3G.

When you leave city, that's where 4G coverage will end, and in most cases 3G as well, and you'll be left with EDGE. I bet you spend most of your time in office and home, and some time in coffee shop. So that's 2 out of 3 spots where you need WiFi, and in 1 spot you need 3G.

I'd just go for any phone I like without 4G capability. Cuz I have 4G on my computer, and I know it sucks depending on terrain.

THAT aside, if I were you I'd buy an iphon4, because there is jailbreak for it. I'd also look into unlocking it, just in case I have to travel.

To be honest, I was in the same boat. I was able to sell my X and pick up a 1.5 month old Iphone 4 32Gb phone used from the original owner. In all it cost me about $250. And the phone is perfect! PERFECT. I recently told a story about being in a Verizon store and comparing my iphone to the thunderbolt. The first google search on both phones side by side, my iphone won. the next one was won by the Thunderbolt. I thought that the TB would be better than my X was. Still stuttery on the flip through screens and some definitely lag. Amazing.... that they can't get it smoother. Oh well.

I to am an apple product guy. 2 imacs in the house, 1 Macbook Pro/15, 2 ipads, 3 touches, 1 iphone and 1 3yr old ipod nano. Of course, they aren't all used by me... 2 teenagers, wife, mother in-law. Pretty busy house!

My wife still has her X and it's still acting up. 2 shut down cycles last night for no reason that I can see. Finally did a battery pull, and things seemed fine. The non-stop problem of going to "Recent Calls", hitting the number and then having it dial another number randomly.... I could go on and on. It was both of our x's and it happens all the time to my buddy's X as well.

After the switch, i've never looked back. I haven't had one lockup, one bit of lag, nothing. the phone just WORKS. Can't imagine what I would need 4g for at this point, but I'm sure that I'll use it when it's out, locked and loaded!

Good luck waiting on a good device that is 4G capable. right now, from everything i've read... It's Android or nothing. I'd rather have the Iphone any day and twice on sunday.

Taylor263621, where do you live? I've heard the 4g is going to take a while to roll out nationwide. You should go with an iPhone now and not look back!

I read a review of a Thunderbolt last week that indicated that the battery consumption in 4G mode was ferocious. I live in the Boston area and 3G coverage is so spotty outside downtown that I can't imagine ponying up for the hardware or contract for 4G at this point.

I have a Droid X, Fascinate and iPhone 4. They each do different things well/better than the others...