What's new

So I drank the Koolaid gave my kid my Droid and bought the Iphone 4s. My opnion

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
So at work it seems like everyone has an Iphone and was always telling me what a piece of junk my Droid was and that the Apple was so much better I started to believe and couldn't wait to try the new Iphone 5 that never showed up so I decided to pick up the 4s. So far I gotta be honest I don't like it. Google maps on the Droid blows away anything that Apple has and its free... I use voice navigation and turn by turn voice navigation all the time and Apple doesn't even offer it. At least I cant find it. I also find that I have to pay for almost every single app unless you want a scaled down free version of the same app. Only thing I like so far is the camera, and screen. Siri is cool to but I could do without. Why can't I get Google maps on the Iphone? Also is it legal to Jailbreak the Iphone? If I jailbreak it can I get a decent navigation system without paying reoccurring fees?

Great first post. If you are so unhappy then give your kid the iPhone and take back your Droid. Seems to me that will solve all your problems, your kid will love it and maybe you can make your second post something positive.

Great first post. If you are so unhappy then give your kid the iPhone and take back your Droid. Seems to me that will solve all your problems, your kid will love it and maybe you can make your second post something positive.

wow...I am a Doid convert as well and I think the OP has a valid point about Google Maps. I guess it's truly a google issue and not an Apple one, but it's the single most thing most Droid users will miss. Speaking in your phone "navigate to......." and getting voice guided turn by turn directions. No need to belittle the poster for that.

All posts don't have to be positive BTW

No point keeping any product you don't like, especially if you have to pay for it. Use whatever you prefer. That seems straightforward to me.

lacofdfireman said:
So at work it seems like everyone has an Iphone and was always telling me what a piece of junk my Droid was and that the Apple was so much better I started to believe and couldn't wait to try the new Iphone 5 that never showed up so I decided to pick up the 4s. So far I gotta be honest I don't like it. Google maps on the Droid blows away anything that Apple has and its free... I use voice navigation and turn by turn voice navigation all the time and Apple doesn't even offer it. At least I cant find it. I also find that I have to pay for almost every single app unless you want a scaled down free version of the same app. Only thing I like so far is the camera, and screen. Siri is cool to but I could do without. Why can't I get Google maps on the Iphone? Also is it legal to Jailbreak the Iphone? If I jailbreak it can I get a decent navigation system without paying reoccurring fees?

There are a few turn by turn voice navigation apps in the app store and some of them are free. I use Nav free and find it pretty good. Hope this helps.

BTW I too feel we do not have to be so mean. He is just stating his opinion and it may take awhile for him to get used to the iPhone after switching from droid. In time I think he will love the iPhone once he finds the apps he wants to replace some of the features he enjoyed on the droid. We are all here to help everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

As a droid convert as well, he is right. I believe i mentioned this in the apps section. Google maps is free, totally, forever, but not only that, it's the best one out there. I've used waze, mapquest and another that i can't recall, all free. I'm probably going to have to pay to get one close to google.

i do like the phone better than my droid incredible, but I really thought, based on iphone users, this is the best thing since sliced bread, when it's really not, it's just different. Better in some ways, worse in others.

Sometimes when you make a descision like this you can't go back. Try pulling a cool phone out of your kids hand...

Im also a droid incredible convert. Google maps is amazing and they offer it on android because it it totaly backed by google. Even the back of my incredible was stamped google. How ever like every other product, there are good and bads about each one. Sure the google maps was a good app to use, But i wanted a phone with stability. I hated android from the 1st day i bought one. Verizon did not have iphones at the time so i had to settle for it. When the new 4s came out on the 14th i jumped on it. I was tired of the android that i could not rely on working when i needed it. I have had cell phones since 1992 and i have to honestly say the iphone 4s is the best most stable phone i have ever owned to this point. I will stick with iphones forever if they keep comming out with products like this. it also makes me want to buy other apple products now too, and i just might do that. LOL

No reason to ditch the iPhone due to lack of voice guided turn by turn. Try the Mapquest 4 mobile app--it's free, with turn by turn and then some. Get back to enjoying the screen and camera, and maybe even the battery life now....:cool:

I can understand about the Google Maps....I came from Droid X and there is no map app out there that can rival GM's. With that said, I love my iphone! I will never go back to Droid. I use Waze....which works very well for voice turn by turn. When it comes to the operating system, iphone kills Droid. The gui is just way more stable. I had to turn on like 3 different options on Droid just to get location on....iphone is one button and boom done. The way apps open and flow is better also....Droid is more choppy, not as smooth. Only complaint I have is a bigger screen would be nice, but I think that's on everyones list. Maybe the iphone 5 will fix that. I should of started with iphone from the start....this is gonna be a long relationship!

One thing thats got me stumped. Why would droid lovers have any interest in visiting, yet alone posting in an iphone forum? Hmmm.

One thing thats got me stumped. Why would droid lovers have any interest in visiting, yet alone posting in an iphone forum? Hmmm.

Really? Did you not read my first post? I drank the Kook aid and went for the supposed better Iphone. I have to admit I will become a convert eventually but it will take some time and I will not give up. Just really disappointing that with all the technology that Steve Jobs had at his fingertips he couldn't even come up with a decent navigation program. It's like a 10 year old technology. It's actually ridiculous to be honest. There are already plusses like I have mentioned. Screen, camera, battery etc but I use navigation on a daily basis for my work as a Fireman. It's nice when we get a call out of our city and can just tell my phone where I want to go and it routes me there with voice and turn by turn directions. If Apple is so superior to Google how come they cant figure this out? Not trying to be a downer just stating my experience thus far. And like I mentioned I don't intend on going back I just need to find a good fix. And I might have to pay for it.

Really? Did you not read my first post? I drank the Kook aid and went for the supposed better Iphone. I have to admit I will become a convert eventually but it will take some time and I will not give up. Just really disappointing that with all the technology that Steve Jobs had at his fingertips he couldn't even come up with a decent navigation program. It's like a 10 year old technology. It's actually ridiculous to be honest. There are already plusses like I have mentioned. Screen, camera, battery etc but I use navigation on a daily basis for my work as a Fireman. It's nice when we get a call out of our city and can just tell my phone where I want to go and it routes me there with voice and turn by turn directions. If Apple is so superior to Google how come they cant figure this out? Not trying to be a downer just stating my experience thus far. And like I mentioned I don't intend on going back I just need to find a good fix. And I might have to pay for it.

The fire department is relying on individual firefighters' gadgets to get them to emergency scenes? I would've expected fire departments to have standard tech that quickly navigates them whenever needed. What if they've got firefighters without gadgets, or who are technically inept?

The fire department is relying on individual firefighters' gadgets to get them to emergency scenes? I would've expected fire departments to have standard tech that quickly navigates them whenever needed. What if they've got firefighters without gadgets, or who are technically inept?

Believe it or not you are correct. They rely on us Engineers to get them to the call. Yes we have maps etc but often times it's easier to punch it into our phones and voice navigate us there. This is when it is in someone elses district. We know all our districts by memorization.. Some departments actually have GPS built into there Engines. We do not. Google maps has never let me down. The Iphone maps are junk. Doesn't even show my home which was built 5 years ago.. That's junk if you ask me. I am going to look into Tom Tom and see how it works on Iphone... Anyone using this? I know it costs but if that's all you got then guess you have to Pay up...

Ah kool aid - that cold refreshing drink....