What's new

Need some help with downgrade

mylyf

Reaction score
All,

due to unfortunate circumstances my phonoe was upgraded to 4.2.9..

i have my shsh save to my local machine and to cydia,,

on my local machine in the .shsh directory i have
the following..

-rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 4811 Apr 16 20:18 3911391829423-iphone3,3-4.2.6.shsh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 4811 Mar 6 08:34 3911391829423-iphone4cdma-4.2.6.shsh

i am not sure what the 3911391829423 relates too but, i have never
hooked up a different iphone to this mac..

my /etc/hosts file looks like this..

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
192.168.1.6 windows7
#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

here are the procedures i have tried...

1. hook up phone
2.launch tiny umbrella
3. in tiny umbrella i can see the following..
>07/20/2011 18:10:01.370 Found [2] shsh files to cache...
>07/20/2011 18:10:01.374 Cached [2] shsh files

4. in tiny umbrella start the tss server
(this uncomments the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry)

5. restart itunes and then hit alt/restore and
point it to 4.2.6 which i downloaded..

it starts the restore but fails with unknown error 20

second procedure i have tried is to uncomment
#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

and attempt recovery and i still get unknon error 20
as well as uncomment #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

i can only manage to get error code 20....

anyone have any ideas?

Greatly Appreciated
Mylyf

Saurik server is down. I do not know if it's only down in my region but it's down. You can't downgrade or if you manage to get the iOS signed, it will return you error 1013 which means you need to modify changes in host file, iTunes recognize now when it's communicating with apple or when it's communicating with Saurik in the specific case of iOS 4.3.4
I've spent 12h trying to downgrade and used 3 computer but no lock. Turning on VPN also couldn't help. Your error code means that you need to put the iPhone in DFU mode, however, after passing that error you will encounter error 3194, then when you pass those 2 error you will be stuck with error 1013. At least that was my case during 12h or trying to downgrade.

Last edited:
Update...

bab2010 as you predicted..

i got past the error 20 by putting into dfu mode, and then got an error
1013, i attempted to get out of recovery mode, but always got sent back to
the itunes logo with the cable screen..

i guess i will stick with the 4.2.9 and try again later..

unless anyone has any other ideas..

Thank You
Mylyf

Update...

bab2010 as you predicted..

i got past the error 20 by putting into dfu mode, and then got an error
1013, i attempted to get out of recovery mode, but always got sent back to
the itunes logo with the cable screen..

i guess i will stick with the 4.2.9 and try again later..

unless anyone has any other ideas..

Thank You
Mylyf

You got to stick with it now, I don't think there is a thing you could do to downgrade at the moment. You can pass whatever error iTunes pop up, but you will not be able to pass the 1013 or at least for now. You can also use recboot to kick out the iPhone from recovery mode if tinyUmbrella can't help.

I am also getting stuck with 1013 error. Been searching, reading, watching videos, pulling my hair out and living without jailbreak for 3 days. All guides were pre 4.2.9 update so I thought the procedure might have changed. When Saurik's server comes back up will it fix the 1013 error? I am going to try the tethered jailbreak until then. I had it working at one point.

So to be clear, when you get 1013 and you iPhone enters recovery mode, this is normal. Sauriks server is not down. This can be confirmed by pinging 74.208.105.171. It returns perfectly valid results for me here in the UK as always.

To recover from 1013, you should be able to start TinyUmbrella and chose "Exit Recovery" to reboot your phone with the restored IOS. If your phone is not in recovery mode, connect it to your PC with the cable and hold the home and power buttons until the "connect to itunes" logo appears. Then use TU to "Exit Recovery".
Can you please try this and report back with results?

Last edited:
I am trying to downgrade back to 4.2.8 after unintentionally upgrading to 4.2.9. When I got the 1013 error I tried to exit recovery with TU and also iREB. Tried countless times and each time I get stuck with the "itunes logo with the cable screen" loop.

Even tried this.

You might have mode luck (no promises) with TU if you take the following steps, since the baseband did not change and will get signed by Apple...

1. On Advanced tab of TU, make sure you have "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" UNTICKED.
2. Start TSS Server
3. Put iPhone into DFU Mode
4. Shift-restore / option-restore the 4.3.3 file using iTunes
5. As soon as the IOS firmware has been verified and has started installing (progress bar is moving on the iPhone), you should STOP TinyUmbrella because it has done its work and make sure you EXIT it.
6. That will set your hosts back to pointing at Apple, and when the baseband signature check comes up at the end of the install it should ask Apple for those blobs. Because the baseband is valid, Apple should provide the signature and you should not get the 1013 from iTunes.

Now you should be back up and running with 4.3.3.

Hope that helps.

Got a different error but didn't write it down. Giving up for tonight. Will try again after work tomorrow.

I am trying to downgrade back to 4.2.8 after unintentionally upgrading to 4.2.9. When I got the 1013 error I tried to exit recovery with TU and also iREB. Tried countless times and each time I get stuck with the "itunes logo with the cable screen" loop.

Even tried this.

You might have mode luck (no promises) with TU if you take the following steps, since the baseband did not change and will get signed by Apple...

1. On Advanced tab of TU, make sure you have "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" UNTICKED.
2. Start TSS Server
3. Put iPhone into DFU Mode
4. Shift-restore / option-restore the 4.3.3 file using iTunes
5. As soon as the IOS firmware has been verified and has started installing (progress bar is moving on the iPhone), you should STOP TinyUmbrella because it has done its work and make sure you EXIT it.
6. That will set your hosts back to pointing at Apple, and when the baseband signature check comes up at the end of the install it should ask Apple for those blobs. Because the baseband is valid, Apple should provide the signature and you should not get the 1013 from iTunes.

Now you should be back up and running with 4.3.3.

Hope that helps.

Got a different error but didn't write it down. Giving up for tonight. Will try again after work tomorrow.

Just like I was saying. But try this and let me know. After the error 1013 almost at the end of the installation and device goes to recovery mode, close iTunes, run redsnow and point to IPSW 4.3.3 then put the phone in DFU mode and jailbreak it. I haven't try it my self because I'm back to iOS 4.3.3 by going to the Apple Store. I don't know what the did, but I'm back on iOS 4.3.3

Just like I was saying. But try this and let me know. After the error 1013 almost at the end of the installation and device goes to recovery mode, close iTunes, run redsnow and point to IPSW 4.3.3 then put the phone in DFU mode and jailbreak it. I haven't try it my self because I'm back to iOS 4.3.3 by going to the Apple Store. I don't know what the did, but I'm back on iOS 4.3.3

Just to be 100% clear. I am trying to go back to 4.2.8. After the 1013 error should I use the 4.2.8 jailbreak instructions and point to IPSW 4.2.6 or point to IPSW 4.3.3 as you suggested?

I actually tried this the first day but just realized I incorrectly pointed to IPSW 4.2.8

bab2010 said:
No it will not be easy, have you saved shsh of 4.2.8?

He did!

Then try to downgrade by activating the TSS server in the latest version of TinyU, once the TSS server is on, run iTunes shift+restore and point iTunes to your IPSW 4.2.8 then let it restore. During the restore process when about 50% to complete restore, close TinyU and leave iTunes open until restore is complete. Good luck.

Hi guys,

I'm having a similar problem. I loaded standard 4.3.3 onto the iphone then went to jailbreak that iOS with redsn0w 0.9.6 rc16 and loaded it onto the device. Once that was done and it rebooted I am now stuck at the recovery screen on every boot. If I put it into DFU mode and run redsn0w again with the 4.3.3 iOS it goes through some of the motions until the device reboots. I then get the bash prompt and have exactly what mylyf got in the way of NAND errors etc. I then get the same result as you have when running TU while restoring in iTunes. I assume that the OS version makes no difference?

Any more progress on fixing this? I am desperate at this stage (as others will be!) as I have been days trying to revive this phone! Thanks for all the info so far... I would be quite happy even with a 3.x iOS so if I can load that on easily... I'm quite new to all this stuff so any advice is most welcome! :)