What's new

Jailbreak mehtods?

hillview

Reaction score
What is the difference in greenpoison, absinthe, redsnow, and cydia? I was jailbroken, but upgraded to 5.1 on my 4s. I am trying to wrap my head around all of the options and find out what is best for my personal application. Thanks in advance for all the helpful input !

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Now that you've upgraded to 5.1 there's nothing you can do to jailbreak for now. Greenpois0n, Absinthe and Redsn0w are all jailbreak tools. Absinthe is specifically for jailbreaking A5 devices on 5.0/5.0.1 whereas Redsn0w can handle jailbreaking for almost any device on most firmwares. Greenpois0n is for iPhone4 and lower on 4.2.6 or lower and Cydia is a 3rd party app store that is installed during the jailbreaking process.

So Cydia is the only jail broken app store? And a jailbreak is a jailbreak, just different tools to get there, right?

So Cydia is the only jail broken app store? And a jailbreak is a jailbreak, just different tools to get there, right?

There's other stores like Rock or Icy but I've never tried them so I'd just stick with Cydia. And yeah, different tools pretty much.

There's other stores like Rock or Icy but I've never tried them so I'd just stick with Cydia. And yeah, different tools pretty much.

Rock was acquired and discontinued by Saurik a long time ago and Icy is not worth your time. So yes, Cydia is the only 3rd party app store. And yes, a jailbreak is a jailbreak no matter how you get there.