What's new

If you've already jailbroken 5.0.1...

nightfly

Reaction score
...using absinthe, how do you upgrade and jailbreak 5.1 without hosing my previous jailbreak and all the Cydia apps I already have? Thanks in advance.

I should add that I'm doing this on an iPhone 4S.

Unfortunately, there's no way to update your iOS version & maintain your current JB. When you update to iOS 5.1.1 you'll need to reJailbreal using Absinthe. Before so, though, there are packages in Cydia that allows you to backup ALL of your jailbreak tweaks, packages & info... so the reJailbreak process goes smoothly.

I just purchased xBackup, but I now find I have an app called AptBackup, but no sign of xBackuo...are they the same program?

nightfly said:
I just purchased xBackup, but I now find I have an app called AptBackup, but no sign of xBackuo...are they the same program?

They are different. I've always used PkgBackup from Cydia.

Lovely...I just paid for xBackup, Cydia says it's installed -- but I can't find an icon or any other way to access it. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known problem?

nightfly said:
Lovely...I just paid for xBackup, Cydia says it's installed -- but I can't find an icon or any other way to access it. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known problem?

I'm not certain about xBackup... I've never used it. Hopefully another member here has some experience w/ it that can shed some light.

O.K., that was odd. I purchased the app, and it said I had purchased it, but Cydia wasn't giving me an "Install" button until after I rebooted my iPhone, then I could download and install it. ???

nightfly said:
O.K., that was odd. I purchased the app, and it said I had purchased it, but Cydia wasn't giving me an "Install" button until after I rebooted my iPhone, then I could download and install it. ???

Very odd, yes. Now you should be good to go.:)

So, if I understand this correctly, now that I've done an xBackup backup and am downloading 2.0.4, my next steps should be:

1) Connect to iTunes and sync (or should it be 'back up'?).

2) Do an update to 5.1.1 (or do I need to restore first?).

3) After 5.1.1 is installed, do I have to do anything (like sync) before running absinthe?

4) Run absinthe.

5) Once absinthe has finished jailbreaking 5.1.1, go into Cydia and re-install xBackup.

6) Run restore on xBackup.

Any advice on the first three steps - on which I'm still a bit confused - will be appreciated, along with pointing out anything I'd be doing wrong in the above procedure.

nightfly said:
So, if I understand this correctly, now that I've done an xBackup backup and am downloading 2.0.4, my next steps should be:

1) Connect to iTunes and sync (or should it be 'back up'?).

2) Do an update to 5.1.1 (or do I need to restore first?).

3) After 5.1.1 is installed, do I have to do anything (like sync) before running absinthe?

4) Run absinthe.

5) Once absinthe has finished jailbreaking 5.1.1, go into Cydia and re-install xBackup.

6) Run restore on xBackup.

Any advice on the first three steps - on which I'm still a bit confused - will be appreciated, along with pointing out anything I'd be doing wrong in the above procedure.

1. Just create a backup via iTunes. No need to sync.

2. Just run the update via iTunes.

3. Restore from the backup you created.

The rest you've already mapped correctly.