What's new

iPhone Unlocking Guide for Beginners

The Gevey Ultra S (iPhone 4S) supports iOS versions 5.0 & 5.0.1.

Is this still true? According to applenberry.com

The GEVEY Ultra S GSM unlocks your GSM iPhone 4S. It's a true plug-and-play unlock for GSM iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1 and 5.1.1.

Im currently using a iphone4S ATT model baseband 1.0.14 running iOS 5.0.1. Does this mean if i buy the Gevey Ultra S ill still be able to use the phone even if i updated to 5.1.1? Correct me if im wrong, updating regularly via itunes will change the baseband right? is it advisable to preserve the older baseband even tho gevey works on all bb's? will there be an advantage preserving it?

No, as I said Gevey Ultra S is compatible with all current iPhone4S firmwares and basebands. There's no point in preserving baseband(You couldn't even if you wanted to since baseband preservation relies on the limera1n bootrom exploit which doesnt exist on A5 devices).

Hi there,

I actually just registered just to post this comment and I never bother to on these sites for exactly that reason, but I just have to say that your advice throughout this whole post and your responses to everybody's questions is exactly how every forum should be.

You have answered about 10 questions which have cropped up in my iphone repair experience in the clearest terms and I just thought you deserved a bit of credit.

Keep up the good work and I'll be sure to be in touch with any questions!

Hello, I have a jailbroken iphone4 with IOS 4.2.1 and baseband version of 03.10.01. I ordered a Gevey Ultra sim yesterday. I see from this post I can use IOS 5.0.1 if I have the 04.10.01 baseband. What I've done so far is used Tiny Umbrella, the windows shows:
  • iPhone4 4.2.1 (8C148)
  • iPhone4 4.3.3 (8J2)
  • iPhone4 4.3.5 (8L1)
  • iPhone4 4.3b1 (8F5148b)
  • iPhone4 5.0.1 (9A405)
  • iPhone4 5.1.1 (9B206)
  • iPhone4 5.1.1 (9B208)
I'm assuming that those are the blobs that are preserved. I tried earlier to use redsn0w to take the 5.0.1 IPSW and made a custom version. So I'm assuming if I take a step to somehow upgrade my baseband to the 04.10.01 I'd be able to upgrade my IOS to 5.0.1. Can you tell me if that would be the apropriate step, if so could you diect me how to go about this? If that's a no-go, could you give me a possible alternative or let me know that it isn't possible? Either way, I'm very appreciative of your time.

Thanks in advance!

Update:

I took the customized IPSW I made with redsn0w and I stiched in my 5.0.1 Blob. I'm terrified to attempt an upgrade until I hear back from someone though, I'd prefer a phone at 4.2.1 then have an ipod at the newest IOS. Just letting you know what I'd done thus far.*****

Last edited:
Might as well update to 5.1.1, there is an untethered jailbreak. No need for blobs since it's being signed, just create a NO_BB firmware with Redsn0w or a pre-jailbroken firmware with Sn0wbreeze. DO NOT restore a stitched factory firmware. Doing so will update your baseband.

I just attempted to do a restore on NO_BB_iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B208_Restore; I received "an unknown error ocurred (14)," I'll keep attempting to restore, Do I need to edit the host file or anything like that? I was hoping it would be a smooth transition. :O Should I be doing this with the "9B206" version of the ipsw opposed to the "9B208?" I doubt that's relevant but I'm just grabbing at the air here.

Update:

• I made sure I had more than enough free space (8.4 GB on Win7 PC 64 Bit).
  • I restarted the computer
  • I attempted editing the host file hich gifted me with a 3194 error, I put it back in the original state.
I have noticed that when it's at the "iphone software restore" point of the updating process is where it klunks out and gives me the error 14.

Last edited:
I used sn0wbreeze to build a custom IPSW and everything went smooth. I'm now on the 5.1.1 IOS with my retained baseband. Thanks Jmills87, you rock the Casbah!

friend know how to unlock sprint iphone4 not using sim card if you could help me plea

i was looking at the lists of basebands on the iphone 4 you dont seem to have mine on there is it because it is austrailian it is bb 04.12.01 if so can i use a gevey american or can u get them here for oz phones thanks paul

i was looking at the lists of basebands on the iphone 4 you dont seem to have mine on there is it because it is austrailian it is bb 04.12.01 if so can i use a gevey american or can u get them here for oz phones thanks paul

04.12.01 was incorrectly entered as 04.12.00, the baseband is currently not unlockable.

Hi folks,

OK, I am new to the iPhone world. I have some reading and understand that for iPhone 4S, as the first post said, baseband 02.x is not unlockable yet.
iPhone 4S(GSM ONLY)
BasebandsUnlockableUnlock Method
01.0.11YESGevey Ultra S
01.0.13YESGevey Ultra S
01.0.14YESGevey Ultra S
02.0.10NON/A
Then I headed to AppleNBerry, checked for Gevey Ultra S and see now some baseband 02.x is supported: Apple N Berry | GEVEY.

Is this new? Does that mean iPhone 4S baseband 02.x can be unlockable? Anyone tries that?

Thanks,

D.